Logo

2005 Honda 225 Corrosion

SirReel

2005 Honda BF225 w/560 hours. I noticed water leaking around lower mid-section of engine when backing into slip this weekend. Was hoping a hose had popped off since motor hadn't been peeing the last couple uses (tried plunging the pee hole with mono and trimmer line to unclog but no luck). Sand/sediment has usually worked its way through eventually during previous no peeing instances so I wasn't too concerned. Upon removal of the lower cowling pieces I found flush water running down behind the VST and intake manifold through what I believe is the block or water jacket for the block. The leak is on the port side of the motor (looking at the back of the motor, the side opposite the pee hole and trim switch) and is behind the VST and deeper into the motor than intake manifold. No high temp alarm or smoking from the motor and engines are routinely flushed immediately after use/shutdown.

I'm going to try smearing JB Weld steel epoxy and/or epoxy stick with a popsicle stick around the whole corroded area and hoping it holds for a few light uses while I configure a re-power mid-season. I'm hoping it is on the "outflow" side of water jacket and not under much pressure. Any input or tips how to clean the area and apply epoxy so I don't have to remove many parts for access? Trying to avoid pulling boat out of the water.

See pics below. I took a couple pics with a bluetooth scope as I can't even feel the corrosion with my fingers it's so deep.

Blue arrow pointing towards leak (brown paint is rust reformer primer I've applied to corroding/bare metal parts over time)
View attachment 28904
Arrow is pointing up to leak near block (pic is sideways)
View attachment 28903
Pic of water leaking out
View attachment 28902
Pic from scope of water flowing down through hole and possible cracks?
View attachment 28901
Pic of corroded hole
View attachment 28906
Pic of same lower block area from my starboard motor. I can barely see an area starting to form maybe?
View attachment 28905

Last edited:
Thanks CHawk...let's try again

Blue arrow pointing towards leak (brown paint is rust reformer primer I've applied to corroding/bare metal parts over time)
IMG_5621.jpeg

Arrow is pointing up to leak near block (pic is sideways)
IMG_5623.jpeg
Pic of water leaking out
IMG_5624.jpeg
Pic from scope of water flowing down through hole and possible cracks?
IMG_5633.jpeg
Pic of corroded hole
IMG_5645.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5643.jpeg
    IMG_5643.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 24
That doesn't look good at all. I'm not sure even JB Weld can give you much of a fix. Probably time to re-power. It will be difficult to ever trust that engine again, IMO.

Back