Logo

2005 BF30D5 Long Tiller Trim/Tilt Switch Grommet Problem

GaryC

Hi from Canada. Conversion of the factory gas-assist tilt to power trim/tilt on my 2005 Honda BF30D5 long tiller model is now functional except for one nagging problem... the specified grommet to seal the switch and handle doesn't fit.

The long tiller handle had a rubber grommet in the factory casting for the optional switch which acts as a plug to keep water out of the handle. The idea is to remove this plug grommet and replace it with the power tilt switch 35640-ZW4-H11 and grommet 35643-ZW4-H02. This is simple enough except that the new grommet doesn't fit! I'm attaching picture #1 of the two grommets to illustrate. The grommet on the left is the original rubber plug; on the right is the new 35643-ZW4-H02 grommet which I bought using an online supplier's Honda parts diagram for my BF30D5 BAUJ1100543. Picture #2 (from my Honda Service Manual) clearly shows the shape of the grommet I need. The contours of the diagram picture of the grommet looks more like this than the one I received, which is too short to fill the gap between the switch and the casting. Possibly the grommet I received is only one part of a two-part system but I'm guessing at that. Online sellers apparently don't provide technical support, so I'm hoping that the really knowledgable people in this forum who have actual experience with this issue can help me. Does anyone know about this or have a picture of the 35643-ZW4-H02 that differs from mine? Another thought is that 35643-ZW4-H01, the previous version to H02, might be what I really need.

Thanks to anyone willing to comment.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_1344 resized.jpg
    IMG_1344 resized.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 2
  • BF30D5 Power Trim Switch Grommet Re-sized.jpg
    BF30D5 Power Trim Switch Grommet Re-sized.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 2
Another thought... does anyone here actually have a BFxx outboard with long tiller handle and power trim/tilt switch installed in the handle? If so, could you please provide a close-up photo of the grommet and switch from the outside, so I can see if it is one or two pieces? All of the Honda parts diagrams for LHTA models (BF30D4 Parts Diagram attached below) show a part 18 (which may well be the missing part for me) but for some reason there is no part number listed for that piece. Part #58 in this diagram is listed as the 35643-ZW4-H02 grommet I already have.

Many thanks.

GaryHonda BF30D4 Parts Diagram.jpg

Back