Logo

2005 BF225 Water In Oil - Advice Needed!

Worldcat 270 EC - 2005 BF 225 unfortunately is a milkshake. First time servicing the boat as it sat for a few years noticed water in the dipstick and not a small amount. Did SB 56 over the weekend thinking it was the oil pan gasket. Also replaced water rube grommet on oil pan, water pump, plugs and thermostats. Plugs look OK. Everything went smoothly. Took it out this evening after completing the job along with new oil & filter. Oil is once again a milk shake. BTW motor ran great and no overheating on the water and ran her for about two hours.

Prior to doing SB 56 completed a leak down test (all within 5%) along with a compression test which all the cylinders were within a few PSI. Same with the Starboard motor. I know they say leak down test isn't exactly accurate for a outboard head gasket diagnostic so hoping for some other ideas and input.

Head Gasket? Any other ideas? Kind of at a loss currently. Went to tech school for outboard years ago so I do my best to do all my own work!

TIA,
Wyatt

This is a tough one, given the age of the motor I'm guessing a corrosion hole somewhere. I would start by removing the cylinder heads. Before doing so though, I would drain the oil and refill with fresh and run the motor with the lower unit off and no water supply, just to minimise internal salt deposit which will very rapidly start rusting rings, camshafts etc.Once the heads are off you can look for signs of electrolysis internally.

This is a tough one, given the age of the motor I'm guessing a corrosion hole somewhere. I would start by removing the cylinder heads. Before doing so though, I would drain the oil and refill with fresh and run the motor with the lower unit off and no water supply, just to minimise internal salt deposit which will very rapidly start rusting rings, camshafts etc.Once the heads are off you can look for signs of electrolysis internally
Thanks for the response! So you mean just run the motor for short time without any water flow to heat up the motor to separate some of the water?

I also had someone say that the problem could be fixed and I just had a bunch of residual water in the block and heated it all back up when the motor was ran hard on the water. Now the dipstick is showing water and it could take a couple refills and heating up the motor to get all of the water/oil removed. what is your thought on that?

TIA

I'm just suggesting you run it dry to displace the water, saltwater is extremely corrosive and I've seen motors completely ruined by leaving water ingress un treated. Components start rusting very quickly. The sooner you do this and get the heads off the better.

Futher to that, one oil change as you did previously should not result in milkshake, did the oil level rise after the change?

Futher to that, one oil change as you did previously should not result in milkshake, did the oil level rise after the change?
Understood! The oil level did not appear to rise. I think I will do a couple oil flushes to see if it gets any better and if not I'm assuming head gasket issue. Just going to run it in a trough to see what happens.

BF 225 Milky 3.jpg

I've attached a couple pictures of the oil I drained... Not to mention about 4 ounces of so of straight water came out right when I removed the plug. Does not seem like residual water to me.

Yes, water could be leaking in anywhere, those, corrosion is usually the issue. Another fairly common place for water to get in is through the top engine mount cover plate although if that was leaking you would usually get oil leaking out of the top mount when the engine is fully tilted

Yes, water could be leaking in anywhere, those, corrosion is usually the issue. Another fairly common place for water to get in is through the top engine mount cover plate although if that was leaking you would usually get oil leaking out of the top mount when the engine is fully tilted
Okay I’ll check on that. The engines are never really tilted up as it’s a worldcat and sits very high on the trailer. What top engine plate are you referring to? I’ll look into that

Finished removing both of the heads today and have attached pictures of the block side along cylinder head and before/after some light cleaning and corrosion/sand removal. Let me know what you think! TIA First Set of pictures are all of the block

Block Corrosion 1.jpg

Block Corrosion 2.jpg

Block Cleaned 1.jpg

Block Cleaned 2.jpg

Block Upclose Corrosion.jpg

Block Upclose Corrosion 2.jpg

Block Upclose Corrosion 3.jpg

Block Upclose Corrosion 4.jpg

My plan is not to clean up the heads and slap them back on just and FYI. Looking for opinion/if possible head gasket failure and if worth bringing to a machine shop? Thanks!

Check behind the valves for a hole. That’s where mine leaked. It looked good everywhere else, once I pulled the exhaust valves there was my hole.

I’d bring ‘em to a machine shop & take good high res close ups of the block to show the machinist. That’s what I did when my 4.3 V6 inboard had water in 2 cyls & the oil. Turned out to be both HGs blown due to past overheat & cracks were found in the center cyls exhaust seats on both heads. Block being cast iron closed deck was fine. Fixed with reman cyl heads new gaskets & cyl head bolt.

There appears to be a fair amount of electrolysis evident. Head gaskets have not failed from what I can see.Judging by the pistons, there is no water getting into the cylinders, if there was then one of the pistons would be clean of carbon and the motor would not have been running well. If you're intent on fixing this motor you will need to do a full tear down and thorough clean to inspect. I would still look at the top engine mount cover plate which requires power head removal to inspect.

UPDATE :/

I've attached a couple photos of the machine work. Shop machined heads, welded any corrosion that was present and cleaned. Surface looked great. Threw the heads on and got everything buttoned up over the last weekend. However, took the boat for a sea trial this afternoon and was a milkshake again. About 2 ounces of water come out of the drain plug before the milky oil.

Motors both performed great and were run for over an hour without a hiccup. Judging by how the motor runs I'm not thinking its a head gasket leak any longer. At this point I'm not sure what else to check. I'm wondering if the oil pan gasket is leaking even though it was replaced.. Is there a way to test the oil pan for leaks? I'm much for confident working on the motor after doing the cylinder head as this is the first time working on a Honda. Any input would be helpful! TIA

Cylinder Head Machine 1.jpg

Cylinder Head Machine 2.jpg

Milky Pan.jpg

There appears to be a fair amount of electrolysis evident. Head gaskets have not failed from what I can see.Judging by the pistons, there is no water getting into the cylinders, if there was then one of the pistons would be clean of carbon and the motor would not have been running well. If you're intent on fixing this motor you will need to do a full tear down and thorough clean to inspect. I would still look at the top engine mount cover plate which requires power head removal to inspect.
I there any way to check for top engine mount leak without power head removal? Is this a common issue with these motors?

I did say I didn't think the heads were the issue and to pull the powerhead and check the upper mount cover plate etc, they are extremely prone to corroding round the seal area.

I’ll be keeping an eye on this. 2016 250 oil looks the same after a fresh oil change and about 15 minute run in the water. Ran it for about 30 on the hose and no water intrusion. Comp. and leak down both good and that’s as far as I’ve went. If you find the problem let us know. Thanks.

I’ll be keeping an eye on this. 2016 250 oil looks the same after a fresh oil change and about 15 minute run in the water. Ran it for about 30 on the hose and no water intrusion. Comp. and leak down both good and that’s as far as I’ve went. If you find the problem let us know. Thanks.
Exactly what is happening with mine. Is the motor running properly?

Back