Logo

2004 XA BF200 Tilt/Trim Issues

Randy Brunson

Contributing Member
Hello
After being out of the water for a few weeks, I went to put the boat in and when I tilted the motor up, I noticed it was having a hard time. After doing a few other things, I tried it again, and this time it couldn't lift the motor. I went back to inspect and noticed a leak around the port side trim cylinder. The trim motor sounds fine...

Anybody have something similar to this happen?

Is there any chance I can replace Part #46 on the Boats.net Power Trim & Tilt Diagram which includes the rod guide and some seals and get away with it? Or is this more likely a major repair?

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...-baej-1200001-to-baej-1299999/power-trim-tilt

Also, there's two part numbers listed for #46, though they both reference the same Serial Number range. Any idea which one is right?

As always, thanks for the advice!

The rod guide replacement will work fine provided the piston rod is not pitted or damaged. Simply remove rod guide using the special tool, remove the rod and inspect carefully to ensure there are no rough spots due to electrolysis, grease seals and orings liberally with marine grease and reassemble, then fill reservoir with 10W30 engine oil and bleed system as per manual.

Trim Cylinder Both.jpgTrim Cylinder Good.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. I'm having a hard time getting the pic of the bad on to unload, but it's to the port side.

Couple of questions:
1. My serial number is BAEJ-1200443. Does anybody know the right part number for the guide kit? The diagram shows two, both with the same serial range...
2. Does anybody know the part number of the special tool for the cylinder caps?

Thanks.

Trim Cylinder Bad.jpg
Here we go. The original pic was slightly over 1 MB, I think that was the problem. I downsized it allowed me.

I would expect to see more fluid, like a trail, but this one is definitely oily on the surface...does this look like a seal kit fix?

Should I do both while I'm doing it?

Thank you for the advice on that part number.
Judging by the pic, does that look like the way to go?
Also, what special tool do I need?
Thanks again!

Thanks, I'll look around for it.
The fitment list for 04602-ZY3-000 in boats.net does not show 200 up engines, I think the biggest it shows is 130 up. I like the fact that it includes two sets, but are we sure that it fits a bf200?

Thank you for your help on this, iand6766. I have ordered the parts and a specialty tool from marine tech tools.
Have a good one, thank you.

Back