Logo

2004 Johnson 15 two stroke overheat, now won’t fire up

Denis-Cellmer

So I have an 04 15hp two stroke that had been sitting for about 7 years in a garage after being completely winterized top to bottom for storage. Plugs had great spark and cylinders had great compression. Engine even started only third pull on the choke after being pulled out of storage and ran pretty good. I replaced the impeller and it ran great strong tell tale stream. No bogging, no nothing. This was all on muff btw. I then put the engine on my boat and went for a cruise and it ran great through no wake/ idle. After getting on plane and went full throttle it overheated after about 20-30 seconds it overheated and cut out. I didn’t take any chances so I didn’t try to start it again and got a tow back. Since impeller was brand new I decided to replace the thermostat which looked completely destroyed. I also pulled plugs to check for water in cylinders in case the head gasket blew. Zero water in cylinders and plugs were dry as a bone and also were not burnt and gap is perfect. So after replacing the thermostat I decided to try and fire it up for first time and it cranks good no resistance on pull cord from water seizing or anything of the sort. But it just won’t fire. And yes it’s in neutral, kill switch is in, and primed with fuel. I was thinking possible water temp sensor stuck closed but other than that I’m at a loss.

Back