Logo

2004 honda 40hp 4 stroke top crankshaft seal replaced now it shifts hard?

Albert_H

Mechanic replaced top crankshaft seal for an oil leak and now I have issue shifting hard. I told mechanic that it happen once the boat was launched. He said we worked
on the top. It possible that "replacing the top crankshaft seal that could of affect the hard shifting into gears?" I had to jam it into forward to go forward. It sounds like they never tested the boat after replacing crankshaft seal. I do not have a trailer so I paid 150 bucks to have them tow it for service. What puzzles me is that I did not have this issue before they worked on the motor.

I removed the cable at the motor end it move it freely.

Please advise.

Thank

Also, with motor off I can go freely to neutral to forward many times not problem. Then try to go into reverse it jams then have to force it then I can go to neutral to reverse with no problem until I go forward. I can repeatedly do this process.

Any ideas what I should do?

Motor must be running for shifting.----With motor not running propshaft must be turned by an assistant for shifting.

I was not aware of that, thank you. When I launched in the water I put it in reverse which was fine. Going forward, it would not go into forward gear until I jammed in gear and went forward fine. Tomorrow I will take it out and see if it still does it. I believe it will behave the same. Any ideas to narrow my problem down. could it be adjustment with cabling engine side. I noticed that the lock nut was not tight at end of rod engine side.

Thanks for your help

Yes, those lock nuts come loose and the adjustment will change
You probably just need to make an adjustment and then make sure the lock/jam nut is tightened up good.

See items 11 and 39 in the link below.

Shift adjustment is made while the transmission is in reverse. This is to give full access to the adjustment nut.

And, as already stated, you need to make sure the prop is being slowly rotated when changing gear when the engine isn't running. Doesn't matter which direction or which gear. Just so it is slowly moving.

There is a procedure that involves backing the adjustment nut up until it disengage the lower shift rod. Then, reconnect it and turn it onto the lower shift rod 3/16" and test.

But, yours is so close to being good...you probably only need to turn yours so that it moves lower onto the lower rod. Try turning it 1/2 to one turn down, lightly snug the jam nut and then test that it shifts from reverse to neutral to forward and back to neutral then reverse without binding. Once you have it shifting reliably (don't forget to turn the prop) finish up by torqueing the jam nut tight.

Good luck.

Back