Logo

2004 Evinrude DI 225 Won't Crank

GreatBigTuna

Hey everyone. New guy here with a sick Evinrude 225 DI. So here's my story. She completely shutdown without warning a few weeks ago while running back in from a day of trolling in the gulf stream. Just up and quit, in the Hatteras ferry channel with a big ass ferry behind me to boot. I was turning around 3400 RPM and it was like someone pulled the kill switch.

When it died, there were no alarms or check engine lights on the system check. When I tried to restart it, I got nothing. System check did its thing and reported ok, but when I turn the key to start, silence. No fuel pump running, no clicks, just silence. I checked all the basics (kill switch, neutral, both batteries good, 20A fuse to the EMM good) to no avail.

After trying over and over again (just hoping not to have to call Tow Boat US), system check finally gave me the 3 finger salute (chk eng, hot, no oil) so I gave in and called the man in the red boat to come get me. When I got her back on the hard, I tried again to start her, still no love for me, but it stopped giving me the 3 lights of death. So I started my internet sleuthing and found out that the 3 lights on the gauge lighting at the same time is a pretty common issue and was essentially my EMM giving me an obscene gesture for letting sediment build up in its cooling circuit, but oddly enough, in almost every case I found the problem was intermittent. The engine runs good for a bit, dies while running, issues the 3 light middle finger, cools down and then starts again. Mine did not show this last characteristic. That being said, even in the intermittent cases, once it occurs your EMM is pretty much toast.

So I called DFI technologies and spoke with Chet, who after listening to my story agreed that my EMM was likely faulty and would need to be rebuilt. $800 repair. That sucks, but what can you do? I took it off and sent it to them, but after having the EMM in their shop for a few days, they called and said that it working just fine. They even put it in an oven to see if it was a heat related problem, but it appears to be working just fine.

Well good news that I don't have to send them $800, but now I need to figure out why she won't turn over. I'm hoping that one of you will say that the same thing happened to you and it was XXXXXXX.... But short of that, I'm not really sure where to begin.

I've got the service manual, but I do not have the EV Daig software to connect to see what's doing in the computer.

DFI reported that there were no fault codes stored. Based on the fact that there were no faults recorded in the EMM, I'm thinking the issue is upstream of there. I checked the 20A inline fuse and the EMM ground. If it were some sort of sensor, I should have gotten a fault code. I'm not sure what there is left to check. Any ideas would be most appreciated before I start hacking around :)

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

You have a bad EMM. It has a cracked solder joint somewhere on the circuit board. When in their testing, for whatever reason, the solder joint is making contact.
Put it on your engine, vibration, etc, and the joint opens up again.
With this failure, no fault codes are stored.

So, they will surely know about intermittent cracked, cold solder joints. They will disagree with me. But, this is so common that they should know
exactly which joint is cracked, and where it is on the board, even without testing.

My experience is that this is a bad EMM, just like your 'net research led you to believe.

Nothing to do with curing your problem this time... just a comment of something that's bugged me for years.

Many years ago, a friend and i were having a conversation about the present design of outboards back then and where it was going. He turned and said to me "Sophistication breeds problems"... something that obviously has stuck with me to this day.

There is no need for outboards to be so sophisticated, and it would seem to me that the only reason our outboards have become so complex is so the engineers will continue to keep their jobs. There comes a time when someone in power should say "Good Enough". I think we've long passed that point!

Government, Joe.
EPA.

They required cleaner engines, and the way to do that is control the burn with a computer instead of a jet.

One thing that gets me is the use of vapor separators. ???? Vapor separators are only used to collect gas fumes and suck them in to burn.
But look at the problems caused by these magical

Sorry....just typing along, and keyboard locked up. Second time in two days.

Anyway.....many people consider that vapor separator to be some kind of special deal, when it can be removed, gas lines plumbed like the old style,
and go boating.

Thanks guys. That's not what I was hoping to hear :) I have a feeling I'm going to be chasing this for a long time. I need to get the software and cable. Can I get this from an Evinrude dealer? Everything I'm finding online is shipping from Monaco, Russia or Slovenia. That doesn't sound legit to me :)

Hey Tuna you can also call Marine Computer Supply. You can find their number on www.marinecomputersupply.com
That guy was an engineer at evinrude during the Ficht DI days and he doesn't mind talking you through things like that.
He was the one that convinced me to do my own repair on my Power distribution panel after "daselbee" gave me great help in diagnosing where the problem was.

and by the way I ordered that software and cable from Monaco and I have been waiting for about two weeks and have not seen it yet.
Good Luck!

Sorry....just typing along, and keyboard locked up. Second time in two days.

Anyway.....many people consider that vapor separator to be some kind of special deal, when it can be removed, gas lines plumbed like the old style,
and go boating.

Fuel vapor separator also cools the fuel coming from the injectors to be redirected back to injectors, that helps to keep the injector temp down

Fuel vapor separator also cools the fuel coming from the injectors to be redirected back to injectors, that helps to keep the injector temp down

Yeah...but I had in mind the mid 90s 150, 175, crossflows with the vap sep. That was when it was introduced because the government mandated.

Yeah...but I had in mind the mid 90s 150, 175, crossflows with the vap sep. That was when it was introduced because the government mandated.

Yea, unfortunately I remember when I ran a 1965 ev with nothing but a tac, and it was fun, it always got me back home, lol

You bring up a great point! That '65 could very well be running today. 50+ years later.

The 2004 225 DI that I have will probably not make it another 5. Parts are quickly becoming unavailable.

Back