Logo

2004 bombardier remote control question

kentrx1

have a new to me 2004 carolina skiff with a 50 hp 4 stroke johnson. this past weekend the remote control "froze" in the forward position-----after applying quite a bit of pressure, it broke loose and worked fine in forward. it then would not go all the way in reverse until i worked it quite a bit more. tried to disassemble, but the two halves seemed stuck together....could only get the smallest crack in a place or two between the halves and did not want to damage anything. i had removed the two screws that hold it to the console (it is a sidemount model number 177218 i think), as well as the 3 screws holding the halves together, but it did not loosen up. the serial number is later than the ones listed that were recalled. it also mentions in the recall about some having a white dot====mine has a blue dot on it. it seems to be working fine now, and i have used it about 2 hours since it jammed and worked it quite a bit. i did notice the smallest amount of what appeared to be a plastic shaving or two come out right after it unstuck, but everything seems to feel fine now. any suggestions? i realize nothing is 100%, but was this a freak of nature problem that is probably fine now or is it a precursor to more trouble? thanks for any info!

You have to remove the handle. Loosen the screw a couple of turns, give it a hard punch so the handle gets free from the splines, remove screw and handle. Then you may split the halves.
If problem with shifting, always disconnect cables at engine and test before using any force. If shifting normally at engine (by hand), the problem is likely in the remote. I guess your throttle cable might be too tight (cable sticking or wrongly adjusted), the idle lever did not go all the way down which may lock up the remote like you describe.

You have to remove the handle. Loosen the screw a couple of turns, give it a hard punch so the handle gets free from the splines, remove screw and handle. Then you may split the halves.
If problem with shifting, always disconnect cables at engine and test before using any force. If shifting normally at engine (by hand), the problem is likely in the remote. I guess your throttle cable might be too tight (cable sticking or wrongly adjusted), the idle lever did not go all the way down which may lock up the remote like you describe.
thanks for the suggestion, but according to the schematic i am looking at
http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/en-CA/recallInformation/recall-2003-03.pdf

my model does not have a screw for the handle. thanks anyway!

Back