Logo

2004 BF50 power trim won't go all the way down

rburcaw

My power trim raises the motor fine, when lowering it works until the motor nearly reaches vertical which coincides with when the motor reaches the back of the motor mounting bracket then the tilt/trim unit changes pitch and it stops lowering. When I first got the boat a couple days ago, if you continued to hold the trim button down it would move very slowly down after reaching the mounting bracket, but now it just stops there.

I'm new to the forum and owning a boat so could be something dumb...
Thanks,
Russ

I just finished replacing one of these for some friends. First, raise the motor, throw the safety latch, and make sure nothing is blocking it around the engine bracket. Pay special attention to the trim sensor on the left side as you are facing the motor from the rear of the boat. Make sure that the trim sensor is bolted in correctly, and the sensor arm moves freely.

If all of that is good, flip the safety latch, and lower the engine to where it stops. Then screw out the manual release screw all the way to see if it will drop further. See attached picture of where the manual release screw is located. It's the recessed screw on the right - not the big one in the center.
TT3.jpg

Well, heck! I forgot the obvious. Raise the motor all the way with the T/T switch, (set the safety latch) then open the fill bolt on the right side, facing it, and make sure it is not overfilled. That's the big brass bolt on the right of the attached picture. I think it's 17 mm.

If hydraulic fluid comes out, let it continue to come out until it's just at the bottom of the opening. Reinstall the fill bolt and try that.

TT2.jpg

Back