Logo

2004 150XL Mercury Optimax Exhaust Tube.

igottogonow

Hi,
I was changing my water pump and looked up the exhaust tube and it looks like the nuts have come off the flange that holds it on. I can touch it and the piece is indeed loose. Anyone have an idea how to fix it?? or does it need to be fixed. I do get overheat alarm that was why I was changing my waterpump. Thanks for any assistance you can give me.
igottogonow:confused:

I think you are referring to the exhaust tube extension which is bolted to the underside of the exhaust plate. This has little/nothing to do with the cooling system so it will not affect that. What it will affect is 1) how loud the motor is (maybe you can live with that) and 2) the backpressure on the motor (which if wrong can cause you to burn more fuel, idle poorly, lose some power at higher rpms etc).

So for reason 2 I would certainly get it taken care of.

The extension is fastened by machine screws (1/4" x 20tpi x 3/4") that should be coated with lock-tite when they are installed (maybe the locktite tech was asleep when your motor when by on the production line).

This is easiest to get at when the powerhead is pulled, but with a bit of fiddling you should be able to at least get a couple replaced which should keep it doing it's job..

What do you mean by an update from Mercury? Is ‘‘tis similar to a recall? Could you please explain what this means? Thankyou so much!

Back