Logo

2003 Yamaha 90 TLRB Black dirty spark plugs

Oldsaltydog

Regular Contributor
My son has not mechanical aptitude at all. Whenever he feels like his motor is taking too long to start or just isn't perfect, he takes it to the shop and spends a lot of money. Today, he sent pictures of his spark plugs to his mechanic and based on that alone, his mechanic says he needs the powerhead gasket replaced. (I call it a base gasket, but I make up names for things sometimes!) I'll post pictures that he sent the mechanic and I'll anxiously await any input you guys might have.

Attachments

• spark plug 1.jpg
    spark plug 1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 5
  • spark plug.jpg
    spark plug.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 5
The reddish color my son thinks is rust, the mechanic agreed and said there's water getting into cylinders. I think it's just carbon build up from fuel too rich or way too much time spent trolling or idling. Last year he did have some pitting and deterioration of the exhaust housing that caused water intrusion. The mechanic did repair that with some special aviation grade epoxy that he used to build up the exhaust cover. I've attached before/after pictures. I thought this was a great fix by that mechanic, so maybe he knows the motors condition better than I do, but still think this is an asumption that I don't agree with.

Attachments

• Exhaust cover 2.jpg
    Exhaust cover 2.jpg
    855.2 KB · Views: 6
Back