Logo

2003 Mercury 50 hp 4-stroke EFI bogs down under load, then runs fine, then bogs down again

deerhunterpse

I was just given a 2003 Fisher 1600 with a 2003 Mercury 50 hp 4-stroke EFI. The boat has been sitting in the water in a boat house for two years. The motor was serviced a year ago, then it sat up in the water in the boat house again for another year. When my friend gave it to me, it cranked with no problem, ran great. I took it to bass pro boat service center and had engine oil, lower oil, oil filters, both fuel filters, spark plugs and the impellar changed. I also had a new gas guage installed because it stayed on full when the tank was not full - I thought it was the fuel sending unit, but bass pro tech said it was the guage - he was right. I siphoned as much of the old gas from the gas tank as I possibly could, although I know that I wasn't able to get it all. I then filled it up with 12-gallons of non-ethanol and added stabilizer. I took it to the lake, cranked with no problem, ran fine, idled good, ran fine when accelerating, then all of the sudden it starts to lose power, so I decelerate back to idle and it idles fine for a few minutes, so I try to accelerate and it bogs down, so I decelerate again to idle, idels fine for a few minutes then cut's off. This has happed during three trips to the lake. I though maybe that I just didn't get all the bad gas out and it just needed to run for a bit to get it out, but obviously that's not the case. I haven't taken it to the shop yet. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Do I need the gas tank drained and cleaned, new fuel lines, fuel injectors and filters cleaned, etc.?

The electronics of the efi makes it more interesting but: easiest thing is to loosen the gas cap to see if there is a restriction in the air getting into the tank through the vent, if possible see if the fuel pump continues to run when the engine stumbles and last thing I can think of is that the inner lining of the fuel hoses can come loose and restrict the fuel flow. Hope you can come up with a fix without too much trouble.

Back