Logo

2003 Johnson 90 - occasional now spark OIS 2000

binkoba

I bought a used 2003 Johson 90 OIS 2000. It ran in the video I saw of it, and It started and ran perfectly when i picked it up.

It did not some with an ignition switch, but started and ran by touching the red and Yellow/red wires.

Stopped by touching the two magenta's and black.

I then cut off the modern style plug and wired in a OMC switch in the standard way, but that did not make any difference.

But sometimes (most of the time) after stopping it will not restart and has no spark on any cylinder.

If I try to restart after say 5 minutes, sometimes it dos, but other times it still has no spark.

This does not match any troubleshooting symptom in the CDI troubleshooting guide.

What could this be, thanks.

Well if you are using the " I think I will try these wires method " on this motor you are mistaken.----Sounds like you may have fried some expensive parts !!----To stop the motor you connect BLACK and BLACK with YELLOW STRIPE together !!

Thanks for the reply, and to tell the truth I was afraid I may have done that. You mean the powerpack (fried) I presume..

The motor did not come with the starter switch, but did come with the harness with an orange tipped connector.
All start switches I see are the ones like the pic attached, Is this the correct diagram for 2003?

Thanks

switch.jpg

Sorry man but i said does not start SOMETIMES, is that in there, that is why I asked here to see if anybody had seen this.

How do you connect a OMC ignition switch to the harness below that I got with the motor? I cannot find a switch that that plugs into?

81tx+bApaFL._AC_SS350_.jpg

Sorry man but i said does not start SOMETIMES, is that in there, that is why I asked here to see if anybody had seen this.

How do you connect a OMC ignition switch to the harness below that I got with the motor? I cannot find a switch that that plugs into?

Its the no spark that i was refering to .E]
Theirs a picture in post #3

Back