Logo

2003 Johnson 150 OIS gear reduction starter

joggernot

Starter started running slow so I bought a new aftermarket starter that wont engage the bendix. When I was checking it I noticed it was turning counterclockwise. If I'm not mistaken doesn't it need to run clockwise. It bolts up fine and turns strong just wont engage the bendix. I can manually turn it clockwise and the bendix goes up easily.

All dc motors have 2 directions to run. Depending on which ways the + & - wires are connected.

Assuming you did not switch the 2 wires going to the starter motor. Swap the 2 wires at the motor. It should then spin in the correct direction. IF IF there is NO NO way you could reverse the wires accidently because it is impossible. The motor was wound or internally connected wrong.

Call the company for a correctly built & tested motor. ...........DO NOT pay any more shipping charges for anything. They refuse ? Cancell Payment with the credit card company you used.

The starter is hooked up correctly. I checked the old starter and it does turn clockwise so i guess the new starter is wired incorrectly internally. Yes I agree no freight and no payment if they don't cooperate! Very frustrated because i really needed it today! Thanks for the response.

Back