Logo

2003 BF50A overheat Warning Buzzer retrofit Question

geoffc

I have a 2003 BF50A w/tiller.

I have a 2003 BF50A w/tiller. It did not come with an overheat alarm horn. A couple weeks ago my impeller went out at slow troll speed and I did not see my red overheat light (it is placed on a side panel in an awkward position and I did not see the light come on). It overheated and melted a small area of the plastic valve cover leaked oil. I saw that and shut down the engine took off immediately the cowling. The electronic oveheat "run rough" mode may have come on - but since I was already in slow troll mode and I detected no difference. I want to install a warning horn. After replacing the plastic valve cover and the water pumpt and T-stat I now want to install a warning horn. I got a horn from the Honda dealer that has 2 leads one is yellow/green the other yellow/black. I wired those in to the heat sensor which allowed the red light and run rough mode to work as well. When I did that the red light came immediately as I turned the key on and the "run rough" kicks in immediately. I then took the warning horn off and return the wiring to its original configuration and then the engine overheat light went off and the run rough mode was not engaged and it ran smooth.The pee stream water temp was lukewarm. I assume that the yellow and green is the positive and then ground the yellow/black. I wired it that way and also ohm tested the ground to make sure it was good. How do I wire this horn alarm into the harness so I don't also prematurely activate the red light and "run rough" mode even when the engine is cold? Honda apparently did not have a hot engine audible alarm on these 2003 tiller kits - just the console units. Not good. Now all the Honda tiller 50's have them. Thanks for any help on this.

"Thanks for the tip. I did th

"Thanks for the tip. I did that and the hot alarm light and the "run rough" mode went away. It appears that it is working just fine now - but I'm not positive nor have I confirmed that. The pee stream is strong and water temp is lukewarm so that's good. Now I would like to confirm that the alarm horn, and light/"run rough" are operational. What is the test procedure? I really don't want to run it hot to test it's functionality.

Thanks."

Thanks for the help on this.

Thanks for the help on this. It is working fine now. Once I energized the circuits it came together. I had to wire the horn parallel - not in series - in order for the horn & light to function properly. It's tests out 100% now.

"I also have a 2003 BF50A that

"I also have a 2003 BF50A that runs rough most of the time, and is very hard to start. Exactly what are you referring to when you say "rough run" mode? Possibly I have some wires mixed up, as I installed the tiller handle myself."

It may be that you have improp

It may be that you have improperly wired it and then both the red light-overheat light and the run rough mode will be engaged. That is what happened to me. It will run very rough and so you know that it is overheated. It is impossible to detect at slow idle speed however. Once I got the wiring right the overheat light went off and the run rough mode smoothed out.

Good luck with that.

Back