Logo

2003 bf 225a fogging for storage

sea bee

Still looking forward to some good striper fishing, but I am also thinking about winter storage. Saw a how to video on fogging EFI outboards. They mixed a quart of Yamalube EFI engine storage fogging oil with 2 gallons of gas in a portable fuel tank with the instructions to run engine for 10 to 15 minutes. That's certainly easier than taking the spark plugs out and spraying fogging oil into the cylinders, but I do have concerns. Does it foul the plugs? Will a 225 run 10 minutes on a muff without overheating? Will it harm the VST? Is it an effective way to fog and outboard? Appreciate your input and if anyone uses this method.

It appears that you know what the manual says.....run on stabilized fuel, drain the vapor separator, and shoot oil to each cylinder...".

I do not know the concentrate of the Yamaha product.

In general, I think (and this is only my opinion), you can put together a mixture of fogging oil and at least some sort of fuel stabilizer, and do as you suggest.....with slight modification.

After you plumb in you solution to the fuel system on the engine, drain the vapor separator (so that the winterizing solution will immediately go into the vapor separator). That way, you do not have to run the engine too long on a hose...the fuel mix gets to the injectors quicker. If you use a good set of muffs and plenty of water, you should be able to run it for 10 minutes or so at lower rpms.

Here is an instruction from the Yamaha site that suggests you use the Yamaha fogging oil, Ring Free, and Stabilizer combination. http://yamahaoutboards.com/yamaha-a...-winterize-your-yamaha-four-cylinder-outboard If says 4 cylinder outboards, but the outboards in the instruction are four stroke motors.

Do not forget....when you are finished doing however you are going to do it, drain the vapor separator so it is dry during storage.

...and yes the plugs will get a little fouled, but will clean themselves up when Spring comes around.

Mike

The available knowledge on this web site proves not only how great it is, but also how great it's members are for sharing!
Thanks

Back