Logo

2003 55hp Johnson Enforcer no power under load

bluewaterhunter

Greetings all. Up front... I've been trying to get a factory service manual for this military 2 stroke, through some buddies in Coranado, but no luck yet. I bought this motor in Jan. Been running it weekly since then with no issues until 2 weeks ago, when it just sort of... cut out. Not completely died, but total loss of power. Took it in told them to go through it and clean the carbs. Compression is good, fuel pump, water pump check out. They said they ran it in the tank and it looked good, but they did not run it under load. Told me it was probably the power pack going and that would behave like I had described. They did replace the plugs and told me to run it and see if there was any difference.

Ran it last week. It idles beautifully and up to about 5-7mph everything is great. When I get on the throttle, it just doesn't really respond. It comes up slowly, but no where near full power. Pulled the plugs. Top plug looks fuel fouled and bottom plug looks good. Pulled the carbs, cleaned/rebuilt them. Didn't look too bad,no debris, no varnish. At this point I'm thinking, power pack or coil. Thoughts? Suggestions for troubleshooting?

When this first happened I pulled the primer out and it gave it a slight bump in power which makes me think a jet is occluded, but when the mech said power pack, it got me thinking. I hate to just start swapping parts. Until I get my hands on a manual, I'm dead in the water. Any help on a methodical troubleshooting procedure with specs would be appreciated.

Thanks Gents.

''Top plug looks fuel fouled and bottom plug looks good''.......................see if you got good fire on the top plug...it should jump 7/16 inch....use an inductive timing light on it to see if it is missing fire at the point of failure...address this problem with that plug first and then proceed swapping coils and wiring to try to move the problem..always fix what you see broke first on any problem...

'see if you got good fire on the top plug...it should jump 7/16 inch....use an inductive timing light on it to see if it is missing fire at the point of failure...address this problem with that plug first and then proceed swapping coils and wiring to try to move the problem..always fix what you see broke first on any problem...

I don't have a spare coil... yet. I'm trying to measure the voltage coming off the coil. Without a manual, I'm guessing. Should be in the neighborhood of 230v I think. Sound right? If its not putting out good power after the coil, I'll go back and measure before the coil after the power pack. Then before the power pack... I went to buy a manual today, but West Marine had every year and model except mine... figures. I'll have to get one online... and I was hoping to fish Saturday.

SO... got a manual, ran all the requisite tests. Funny thing is, everything looks good at idle and through the midrange. However, at WOT the voltage off the cargo could drops to about a third. So... I pull the flywheel and find a melted charge coil. I'm guessing this is my issue. Thanks for all the suggestions, folks.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 116
Back