Logo

2003 50GXiB Starts then shutsoff

bcarr

"I've done an extensive am

"I've done an extensive amount of work to this low hour engine (160 hours)and this is what I have at the moment.
The engine will start and run for 5-10 seconds and then runs out of fuel.

I've read many posts in this forum related to similar situations, but I thought it would be appropriate to shed a little history on this one in order to put things into perspective.

My problems began several months ago when I developed a low power problem. While attempting to get on plane, the boat (22' Wellcraft WAC)would only pull 2500 rpms and barely had enough power to get up on plane. Out of the water, the engine ran and sounded great, but in the water it fell on its face. While trying to diagnose the problem myself, I only made the situation worse, because as I found out later, I was running too lean and eventually fried #7 intake valve. I pulled the head and had it reconditioned and replaced the failed valves. I also purchased a new fuel pump, because I was told by my local marine dealer that the low pressure fuel pump was inop. After getting it all back together, I couldn't get the unit to start. After more diagnosis, I found that my coil failed. I replaced the coil and tried again. Now the engine starts, and then shuts off. I am finding that the fuel in the fuel cell is being depleted and the low pressure fuel pump is not refilling the filter. I've replaced the hose to tank, the fitting at the filter and blew back through the hose to tank to verify no obstructions. I've checked the vaccuum hose at the regulator and it's clean (no fuel). If I fill the fuel cell via the return port, and top off the fuel filter, the pump builds pressure in the rail and the engine will run until the fuel cell is depleted.

I tried running off an external fuel supply, but had the same problem. By doing this I have eliminated the possibility of it being something in the tank.

I understand the theory of operation concerning the fuel pumps, and as far as I can tell they are both operating. I checked power at both plugs with the key on, but I haven't checked power with the engine running. Any easy way to do this without poking holes in my wire? I'm even wondering if this is a waste of time, because the system will not build pressure unless I manually fill the cell and filter.

What am I missing here? I'm getting seriously frustrated with this one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated."

Update: Found problem. Apparen

Update: Found problem. Apparently the low pressure pump is able to run in reverse just by reversing the polarity. Switching the wires cured the problem and the engine runs great now.

Back