Logo

2003 115HP/4 Stroke - Engine Running and starter is engaging in NEUTRAL

River03053

I have a 2003 Johnson 115hp/4 stroke. Runs great and well maintained. I used the boat yesterday after sitting for 3 weeks (sits outside, uncovered, and tons of rain recently). Started right up, went out fishing. I was in neutral (engine running) for 20 minutes while getting bait, then all of a sudden it started making a grinding noise like the starter Bendix was grinding with the fly wheel...awful grinding and screeching sound. I put it in forward gear and it stops, return to neutral and it grinds again. Same if I go to reverse gear, then back to neutral. I got back in the dark last night and didn't pull the cowling off to inspect the flywheel or gear on starter for signs damage or metal filings.

Thoughts? It doesn't sound like the clutch dogs in the lower unit. I know that sound.

I'm wondering if the ignition switch is bad, shorting or not returning properly to the "On" position and is keeping power to the starter solenoid? Could it also be an issue with the neutral safety switch in the controller? The ignition switch is NOT in the controller, it is alone mounted in the dash. I have not had any electrical issues previously.

Thank you for helping.

Last edited:
Back