Logo

2002 V150TLRA not charging.

Aerhart

I have a 2002 yahama 150 VMAX 2 stroke. It’s only making about 12.0v at idle and throughout the rpm range. I disconnected my battery while engine was running and it did not shut off, I checked the AC signal coming from the Stator and got about 10.0vAC per wire. There are three green wires to the rectifier. Does that sound right or is that low?

Your model does not run off the battery. Which is why it continued to run with the battery disconnected. Which is why you have a key switch and a kill switch to stop the motor.

10 volts from the lighting coil (part of a stator used to charge a battery) seems low. What value does your service manual provide?

I don't have a service manual yet which is why I was asking. From what I have seen online I say 30-40VAC was optimal, but I wasn't sure if it was 30-40VAC at each wire or if 10 at all 3(I have 3 green wires from the stator to the Rectifier) which makes 30VAC. I knew it did not run off of the Battery, I was using that test as a kind of rule out for a bad stator. If the stator was totally shot then it should have died instantly.

Is there a fuse from the red wire to the battery? I see the big harness from the engine to the battery but I could not tell where that lead went. I'm thinking when checking I verified 12v from the battery to the rectified which should be present if the engine is off. I am going to recheck when I get home with my fluke DMM. I was using a wally world special yesterday so my readings were a bit screwed. I'll check the green to green readouts when I get home and report what I find. Im wondering if the guy I just bought the boat from may have shorted the red wire when replacing the battery. Battery wiring diagram shows a 80A fuse but I was not sure of its location. Boat is new to me as of yesterday. Its a 2002 Charger CX 180 with a 2002 Yahama 150 VMAX X150TLRA

Were you using a meter set on AC or a meter set on DC with a peak voltage adapter in use?

If the former I am thinking the charge coil is outputting sufficient voltage. Leading one to suspect the rectifier regulator.

I had my meter set to A/C, tested as you recommend earlier, A-B B-C A-C. All reading the same which reinforced my thinking of that as well. If all were 10 or if there was a readout discrepancy then I would suspect the stator, but them all reading the same tells me rectifier. Part number 6r3-81960-10-00

Back