Logo

2002 regal large 2100.

doolenfamily

My family and I have recently purchased a used 2002 regal lsr with a 305 mpg engine. I have been trying to plan out and the engine just shuts off after about a half hour of using it. I can restart is after that and it will only move thought the water at about 5 mph. I have also put sea foam in the tank and still happen. I have changed out plugs and wire and distributed cap and distributer. I have checked all the wires. It also dies out when I give it gas and dies right before it planes out. We are so confused. Can you please help. I'm trying to use the boat for my 4 yo son birthday party this coming weekend. Thank you in advance.

chalrs doolen.

Last edited:
If the boat won't plane and you keep pushing it, ugly things can happen... Modern engines go into a crippled mode with barely enough RPM to get you home mode to protect itself.
1) How many people on the boat when you were doing this?
2) what was the maximum RPM that you could get out of the engine while you were doing this?
3) during the half hour of use, how many RPM were you doing?
4) did you sea trial the boat before you bought it... IFSO under what conditions?
5) I think you meant a 305 MPI engine. What is the maximum WOT RPM as specified on the decal on the top of the flame arrestor?

If the boat won't plane and you keep pushing it, ugly things can happen... Modern engines go into a crippled mode with barely enough RPM to get you home mode to protect itself.
2) what was the maximum RPM that you could get out of the engine while you were doing this?
4) did you sea trial the boat before you bought it... IFSO under what conditions?
5) I think you meant a 305 MPI engine. What is the maximum WOT RPM as specified on the decal on the top of the flame arrestor?

Good morning sir,

your right i might a 305 mpi, I think auto correct got me. Lol. I have 4 people on the boat. I did not do a sea trail on it due to the trailer were dry rotten. Something is going on with the tax on this. Because I put barely any throttle on the engine and it goes right to 6000 Rpms. What I don't understand is the boat will go for a half an hour and then just shut off. And after after that I can only go about 5 mph and it's just enough to get me back to the trailer. The boat will ru. Great is the drive way it's when it's under a load and the engine is working. I really appreciate your help sir.

Last edited:

I forgot something. We put it in the water the first day and it wouldn't go over the 5 mph. So we started looking on the internet and found that the fuel water seperator might be the issue so we changed it out and filled the the boat with fresh fuel. And put 2 cans of sea foam it there. The second day we would go about 20 to 30 mph for about 30 mins and shut down. The same thing happened again yesterday. Thank you for your help sir.

ha ha ha ran when I parked it 5 years ago!!! Unfortunately we on this forum see this way too much.
Nothing is more detrimental to any machine than inactivity. Honestly this this is a miracle that it moves at all. Seems like a fuel delivery issue . With MPI it can be from a number of causes. Before you go out again you must have it gone over by a competent Mercruiser tech if you are unable to do the work yourself. Having a boat conk out in the middle of the (ocean, bay, river, lake) presents danger not only to the occupants but to others in the area.
Sea Foam is useless.

I forgot something. We put it in the water the first day and it wouldn't go over the 5 mph. So we started looking on the internet and found that the fuel water seperator might be the issue so we changed it out and filled the the boat with fresh fuel. And put 2 cans of sea foam it there. The second day we would go about 20 to 30 mph for about 30 mins and shut down. The same thing happened again yesterday. Thank you for your help sir.

1) When you said "barely any throttle and it went to 6000 rpm"... If this was in neutral, this is normal.
2) Remove your new water seperator carefully, not spilling the contents and dump the contents into a large GLASS jar. Wait 20 mins...
a) What color is the gas
b) is the gas stratified, i.e. is there one layer on top of another.... if so, the bottom layer is water. lube the rubber gasket with a a thin film of motor oil ( from the dip stick) and reinstall the fuel filter seperator. Start run engine.
c) if it happens again, you have a LOT of water in the tank and it may require skills beyond you to fix.

3) PLEASE answer the questions in my initial response to you.

Back