Logo

2002 Mercury 15hp skipping

TPGG

Contributing Member
Working on a 2002 15 2 stroke, cleaned the varnish out of the carb from sitting for quite a while, threw new plugs in it. Running it on fresh fuel it doesn't really like idling much (if i hold it to a slightly high idle its fine), when you rev up slightly to high rpm, it will occasionally skip firing one of the cylinders (lots of extra smoke for a second).
Where would you start? Check for a wet plug and swap coils?

Last edited:
Repair and clean the carb correctly buy a good quality gasket kit that includes the pump diaphragms.

I tore down the carb and cleaned it out completely. Its only one cylinder thats skipping, I would suspect if it was a carb issue both would misfire.

I tore down the carb and cleaned it out completely. Its only one cylinder thats skipping, I would suspect if it was a carb issue both would misfire.

Do you have a timing light or DVA tester or even a spark plug gap tester to see if you are really dropping fire at a cylinder? I find the timing light shows this well while idling on the hose. Just be careful i have noticed most lights are super sensitive and can pick up spark on other cylinders you aren't even trying to test which confuses the crap out of you!

Typically on carbs you gotta make so sure they are clean...use a fine wire, carb spray and compressed air...if it is really bad get the stuff you soak um in for like 8 hours...careful tho that stuff will melt the plastic parts...just put metal in there.

Last edited:
Do you have a timing light or DVA tester or even a spark plug gap tester to see if you are really dropping fire at a cylinder? I find the timing light shows this well while idling on the hose. Just be careful i have noticed most lights are super sensitive and can pick up spark on other cylinders you aren't even trying to test which confuses the crap out of you!

Typically on carbs you gotta make so sure they are clean...use a fine wire, carb spray and compressed air...if it is really bad get the stuff you soak um in for like 8 hours...careful tho that stuff will melt the plastic parts...just put metal in there.

Nope, but I know where to borrow both. :)
I forgot to pull the reed block so I'll tear apart the carb again and double check.

Nope, but I know where to borrow both. :)
I forgot to pull the reed block so I'll tear apart the carb again and double check.

You might be able to get away with using a flashlight and a little mirror and/or a phone camera to inspect the reeds without pulling the reed block. Just a thought.

You might be able to get away with using a flashlight and a little mirror and/or a phone camera to inspect the reeds without pulling the reed block. Just a thought.

Wasn't hard to pull, but it was fine afterall. Time to tear down the carb again.

Back