Logo

2002 Merc 115 hp efi water pump, shifter position

eric80

Regular Contributor
Hi, I've replaced serveral water pumps on 9.9's and figured out how to unhook and hook up the shift linkage.

On Dr. Merc video he aludes that there is no linkage to undo on a 2002 Merc 115hp efi.

Is this correct?
ie just drop the lower unit and slide out of the leg?

what I'm asking is, what tricks if any are there for unhooking or hooking up the shifting linkage on a 2002 merc 115 hp efi?

thanks

The gear box will come out without any issues, just be VERY careful when replacing the unit, line up the shift shaft correctly otherwise you will end up punching a large hole in the front half of the crankcase.

NICE!
I replaced the impeller last night. On reinstallation the drive shaft needed a little tweeking to get it lined up. I turned the prop back and forth a bit to line up the splines.

I was super carefull with the water tube seal and shift shaft.
the manual says to eye ball that they line up correctly as you state yet that's a bit tricky to do.
It all seemed to slide in well and after tightening up I rotated the prop by hand in forward, netural and reverse.
all seems to be working just fine.
If the shifter works by hand could I assume I've done it correctly?
as well,
re water pump, if I put the muffs on and hook up the hose should I get water out of the tell tale without starting up the motor?

cheers
ERic

If the shifter works by hand could I assume I've done it correctly?
as well,
re water pump, if I put the muffs on and hook up the hose should I get water out of the tell tale without starting up the motor?

cheers
ERic

You will not get water out of the tell tale without starting it. Run the engine on the muffs (muffs facing AWAY from the prop.) You should get water out of the tell tale, exhaust ports, and prop hub. You can also check to make sure it goes into gear properly while it's running (hence why the muffs should be facing away from the prop.)

Back