Logo

2002 Johnson 55hp two stroke issues

Motor is idling and starting fine but anytime i rev it it bogs down. Only thing I did in the time from it was running to this was run a compression test and unplug the power pack. Anybody know what this could be?

Bogging is caused by three things: A sticking timer base under the flywheel.... The throttle butterflies opening too soon.... and fouled carburetors.

The throttle butterflies should just start to open when the scribe mark is dead centered with the throttle roller... not before or after.

If the engine has been sitting for quite some time... gas evaporates, oil remains, the jets get fouled. Make sure that the high speed jet located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber are clean. Do the cleaning job on that jet carefully with a piece of single strand steel wire.

Let us know what you find.

Bogging is caused by three things: A sticking timer base under the flywheel.... The throttle butterflies opening too soon.... and fouled carburetors.

The throttle butterflies should just start to open when the scribe mark is dead centered with the throttle roller... not before or after.

If the engine has been sitting for quite some time... gas evaporates, oil remains, the jets get fouled. Make sure that the high speed jet located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber are clean. Do the cleaning job on that jet carefully with a piece of single strand steel wire.

Let us know what you find.

I would lean towards it being a sticking timer base under the flywheel. I have been running it alot lately and just the other day I took it out and can hardly get above idle before it bogged down. How do I go about fixing a sticking timer base?

I took a video of it today I will upload and send link.

Thank you tons

Back