Logo

2002 evinrude 225 ficht lower unit

kuby

looking for some help. had issues with it shifting into reverse. got that fixed. now i'm having issues shifting into forward. the mechanic said he adjusted the all the play out of it and there is no more adjustment. he said to buy a new lower unit. i am looking for some help and some options. of course i'm looking for a cheap way out, but i also know i am not the guy who is going to wrench on it. motor runs great. it does have high hours (not sure off hand how much). can anybody throw out some ideas on where to look or who to contact or even some options. thanks in advance.

There is very little that can go out of adjustment.----Is the shift rod height set correctly, yes , no or no idea what that means.----Perhaps get an opinion from another shop in your area.------I doubt you need a new lower unit to correct this issue !!

i checked with the mechanic. the engine has roughly 2500 hrs. he's telling me the gears are stretched or worn. the gears inside don't mesh. there is too much slop. so the gears try to jump teeth. he's telling me that means the lower end needs to be rebuilt or replaced. hope this make sense.
that goes back to, what options do i have?
thanks for your input.

i called him and he is saying the clutch dog or something like that is wore out. he can get it to engage into reverse, but not forward. when he adjust it the other way. he can get it into forward but not reverse. he's saying the gap is too wide.
does this make sense?

thanks racone for your time. the shift rod your talking about goes from the motor into the lower unit? am i on the right track(in simplest terms): cables move the clutch dog, the clutch dog moves the shift rod, the shift rod puts it in forward or reverse .
that rod can be screwed in or out pending on your adjustment? i hope i'm on the right track. if this is the case, i can see why you would think i should see a different repair guy. worst case senerio, is the rod would need to be replaced. the whole lower unit would not be bad. a new lower unit doesn't get me anywhere. this is provided i'm correct in my thinking.

The shift rod must be set at a specific height.-----Did your mechanic set it at the correct height for your motor , yes or no?

the mechanic is saying he's adjusting it, but it is not holding. he thinks something is bent or broke in the lower unit. does this sound plausible?
thanks
ned

The only way to resolve this is to take it apart.----Post pictures of the parts.----Perhaps cradle or shifter fork is the issue.----Easy to figure this out in my opinion.----Many shops no longer have people to do this kind of work.----Can only install new parts / assembly.-----Look up-----SEI----for aftermarket lower unit at affordable price.----Not sure how good they are but are priced " right "

Kuby, I don't want to highjack this thread but I'm curious to learn your remedy because it may be applicable to my own dilemma. Specifically, I'm having a similar forward gear problem with a '01 250. Previous owner had trouble "grinding" while in reverse. I disassembled it and found no obvious damage so (after replacing seals) I put it back together and now no forward gear. While bench testing, the rod clicks into each position but I get no prop shaft rotation in forward.

To Admin(s); In fairness to the author of this post, if I am intruding please advise.

Back