Logo

2002 BF50A. Interval for Timing Belt change?

davidm

Just wondering what the consensus is on replacing a timing belt. My owner's manual doesn't mention changing it at all, just "inspecting" it regularly. My Seloc manual says it has to be changed every two years on this particular model. My local Honda dealer said every 1000 hours is sufficient. My motor has about 450 hours on it and the belt looks fine and everything is running very well.
Who should I believe? Thanks!

I have about 3000 hours on my BF50A and still running on the original belt...
mechanic has not suggested it gets changed yet ?

Thanks for giving me confidence, dark_star! Hopefully for both of us, we haven't both been talking to the same optimistic mechanic at Sherwood Marine!

I actually asked my mechanic this exact question (2007 BF50) and to my great surprise he said he's never replaced one. I would think its a good idea for an engine with a few thousand hours on it --- afterall this is an interference engine, so losing a timing belt would be catastrophic.

I have no changed one yet. Just had a couple of 1996 40A's with 1200 hours each and the belts still looked good. If there are cracks on the side touching the pulleys, then it is time to change.

Mike

I have just experienced probable belt slippage on a 2004 BF50A with about 500 hours on it. Belt looked perfect, teeth unworn, no cracking or fraying - much like all the timing belts I have replaced on car engines over the years. It is not yet clear if old belt has stretched or if pulley/tensioner mis-functioned. The result has been valve damage and a rebuilt head. At this point my advice would be don't be deceived by good appearance of belt - at that age, replace it and
also check belt tensioner function/adjustment.

Back