Logo

2002 BF130 wont go past 3.5k RPMs at WOT, pics of head gasket leak?

tworotorturbo

Hi folks, I just picked up a boat with a 2002 BF130. Hour meter says 430 hours on it.

It starts up fine, idles fine, and has power without hesitation when pushing into WOT. The problem is that when going WOT it wont reach any higher than 3500 RPMs.

No misfiring or hesitations.
In neutral it revs up no problem.
Compression is good 190 in all four.
Pics of the plugs are posted below.
I checked the throttle body and it is in fact open all the way when WOT.
Timing marks are all on point.

Also, it looks like the head gasket is being pushed out. The metal head gasket material with black coating is more exposed on one side of the head than the other. No water in the oil.

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Attachments

• image(1).jpeg
    image(1).jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 477
  • image(2).jpeg
    image(2).jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Two things come to mind immediately...

1. Somebody may have switched props on it, and you have an oversized or too high of pitch prop.

2. One of the fuel filters is clogged. If you have an external fuel/water separator, change it, as well as the low pressure and high pressure onboard fuel filters.

Two things come to mind immediately...

1. Somebody may have switched props on it, and you have an oversized or too high of pitch prop.

2. One of the fuel filters is clogged. If you have an external fuel/water separator, change it, as well as the low pressure and high pressure onboard fuel filters.

Thanks for the info. I will go ahead and try a different prop, then replace those filters. I will also replace the plugs too and report back here.

Any ideas on the salt residue on the head/block where the metal gasket looks like its coming out? Thanks

As for the head gasket, it looks like someone used gasket sealer on it. If compression is as good as you say, I wouldn't worry about it. To get rid of the salt corrosion, I typically spray it with 656 lubricant and wipe it down well.

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and replaced the high pressure and low pressure filters, plugs and ran it off a new fuel tank/line. I also removed the darn prop guard. Motor runs a lot better.

I had something similar like this happen on an evinrude that I had. I used jb weld to help "build up" the cyliinder head and put a fresh gasket on it. It gave me several years of use.

The head will eventually corrode until there is a hole and fill the crank case with Water.

Thanks for the info. So it sounds like I'm in for a new head at the minimum. They seem hard to find...I only see one used head online for $700:(. I will wait until I get my head off before I commit to buy one. I will post some pics when I disassemble.

Back