Logo

2002 150hp Mercury XR6 bogging down

luckyhounddog

On a recent fishing trip to Minnesota my outboard's water intake had become plugged with sand. The overtemp alarm went off and I shutdown right away.
I went to shore on the trolling motor.
After flushing the lower unit, it was idling well and had a good pee stream.
However, when trying to get on plane it started cutting out like it was running on 5 cylinders.
Take it out of gear and can rev to 5000rpm with no issue.
I have done the following since:
Put new diaphragms in the fuel pump, pulled and blew out all lines to the carbs. Ran carb cleaner. Pulled and blew out fuel line feeding the pump. Pressure tested the fuel line and checked for leak down.
Did a compression test on all cylinders, all between 115 and 120psig.
Removed prop and inspected for fishing line or foreign material.
Replaced the sparkplugs, bought 3 coil packs and installed on starboard side of engine then test ran, still can't get on plane. Swapped coil packs to port side and reinstalled originals on starboard side. Still need to test run again.
3 years ago I installed new reeds and a stuffer kit with new intake gaskets and torqued to spec. Engine has been running great since then. But, wondering if this issue could be a broken reed. I did check for any loose bolts on the intake and carbs. All is tight. I would think if I had a reed issue that it would have trouble starting and run rough under idle. It starts and idles nice. Which leads me to think it's somehow starving for fuel when under load or has an air leak. Perhaps an issue with what feeds the spark to the coil packs?
Any ideas are welcome.

After the original post I have tried some other things to rule out a fuel feed issue. I got a new primer bulb and fuel line. Connected it to a 2 gallon tank. Put in 1.2 gallons of ethanol free 90 octane and a bottle of Seafoam. Idled the engine for 10 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Then ran another 5 minutes. Yes, it smoked an amazing amount! Drained the 2 gallon tank and put in fresh fuel. Boat idled good and up to about 7mph and 2000 rpm.
When I gave it more throttle and it was trying to get on plane, it started cutting out again. Put it in neutral and can rev nicely to over 5000 RPM. What gives?

Back