Logo

2001 Mercury 50 HP 4 Stroke...Headgasket Replacement Question?

crazymercury

Hello everyone. I have a 2001 mercury 50 hp 4 stroke outboard and I might need to replace the headgasket.

A little background.

The other day when I was running the motor, I notice that the tell tale pee stream wasn't coming out so I stopped the motor. Check for any clog and didn't find any. I took out the thermostat and ran it...it was peeing now. Figure it was the thermostat. I ran the motor for about 10 minutes.

Came home and tested the thermostat and it was working but replaced it anyways. Check the oil and notice that it was dark chocolate milk vs amber color oil. I read that running without the thermostat might have moisture go into the oil. I changed the oil out and put in new oil. Ran it on muff for 30 minutes with new thermostat. Check oil and it now has turn into vanilla color oil. I have read that it takes a 2-3 oil change for all the water in the system to clear out. I continue to change out the oil another 2 times figure that I got it out however I still have the vanilla color oil. I did notice a few drip of oil on the left side running down in between the head gasket so I'm pretty sure its the headgasket. I don't think it is bad but I'm not going to chance it and warp the head.

Now I'm thinking it may be due to headgasket. I place an order but the headgasket won't come until the end of this month. I have the service manual and from what it looks like its a simple procedure. Can someone please confirm it?

Basically remove the valve cover and unbolt the 10 center bolt, 5 cylinder head flange bolts, and 8 carburetor flange bolts. Undo the timing belt. Then the cylinder head should come off without undoing the cam shaft or valves? Then replace the head gasket and that should be it?

I watched this youtube

and he removed a lot of items to get to the headgasket. At any rate, if someone can please advise before I tear into it. I will eventually re-power the boat but if I can get a few more months out of this motor, it would be great. Thank you for any help.

head.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

Tried to edit original post but correction on this part:

"I did notice a few drip of oil on the left side running down in between the head gasket so I'm pretty sure its the headgasket"

Its water not oil on the left side running down the head gasket. I see water droplet from two spot on the left side.

Currently have the oem gasket on order and it hasn't ship out yet, I'm wondering if I should order non-oem as it is in stock now. What do you think?

Back