Logo

2001 Mercury 115HP 2 Stroke Power Issue

krazymanwalker

So, last year when I took my boat out, I noticed it was having issues with operating and pulling the boat from the trailer and had a weird noise. When I put it back up on the trailer, I noticed that the Carrier Bearing housing was cracked so I replaced that and while at it I replaced the Water Pump as well. I put everything back together afterwards and was unable for a while to get it in gear. After making some special wrenches to put on the splines for the drive shaft and the gear shift, I finally got the prop to go into tall the gears like it should. Once I took the boat back out to the lake, and tried to launch it, it didn't seem to have the power that it used to have and couldn't pull the boat off of the trailer. What can I look at to see what might be causing this issue? I appreciate everyone's help in advance with information.

The bearing carrier broke for a reason.----Did you verify that gear teeth were in good condition ?----What did gear oil look like ?-----What gear oil did you put into the lower unit and how much did you put in ?

The bearing carrier broke for a reason.----Did you verify that gear teeth were in good condition ?----What did gear oil look like ?-----What gear oil did you put into the lower unit and how much did you put in ?
A lot of people were saying it was probably due to water freezing. I never saw really what the issue was. I live in the lower part of South Carolina near Charleston and we barely get days that freeze as it is. When I took everything apart I looked at the gear teeth and noticed nothing wrong with the teeth. No scoring or chipping. The gear lube looked like a dark Grey that came out of the lower unit. The lube I put in was a green mercury lower unit lube that I got the part number from this place.

Yes , freezing will do that.----So did you change / replace the oil seals ?-----Might post the compression values here.---And test for strong spark at each lead.----Motor might be running on 3 of 4 cylinders.

Yes , freezing will do that.----So did you change / replace the oil seals ?-----Might post the compression values here.---And test for strong spark at each lead.----Motor might be running on 3 of 4 cylinders.
So the new Carrier Bearing came with new seals on there. I lubed them up and put everything back together. Put locktite on the Pinion Gear after taking the shaft out. Sealed that as well once I put it back in there as well. I will have to give a compression test before placing values. At the moment I am at work, but I have been working on this stuff for a while now trying to figure it out before taking it to someone to work on. I know that the engine has been taking a little longer to crank up at times.

Back