Logo

2001 Mercury 115 EFI fuel injectors problems

mikeinlex

I have a 2001 Mercury 115 hp EFI that I had problems with rough idle and when I was WOT it would reduce speed all by it self. I had the marine dealer clean the injectors and it ran fine for a couple of months. Then it would stall at idle switching gears and burned lots of fuel. I buy my gas at a marine that sells gas with 10% ethanol, and I use Sea Foam or Mercury additive each tank full. I burn my 20 gallon tank about every 2 weeks. I think my injectors are bad but to buy new ones cost over $200 each. Any thoughts........

I buy my gas at a marine that...
Unless they are getting a load of fresh fuel each week you are getting old fuel w/who knows what it contains. I buy fuel from a reliable source...automotive fuel dealers. Dump your fuel/filter into a jar and see what settles out. Are you using 10 micron filters? You may need to pump out the tank and clean it. Pull off the fuel injector elec. connectors and check for corrosion or off color contacts.

Ask your dealer to test the injectors once again, and clean if needed. I had this trouble as well last year on a Y F115 (same engine) and needed to clean the injectors several times, while we cleaned the fueltank, hoses and vapor separator at the first beginning. Seems that some dirt may come off the inside of the fuel hose (after the fuel filter). Finally we installed a 10 micron E-tec fuel filter between the hose that is feeding the rail (install a new (longer) fuel hose). Now problem is solved (but I still don't know where the dirt came from).

That is something I guessed, however, I didn;t found a place where I can see rubber missing. Anyway, problem is solved now, maybe in future new fuel lines in the motor. I also guessed this is coming from some plastic/rubber part inside the high pressure fuel pump.

Back