Logo

2001 Mercruiser 57L 250 HP alarm driving me crazy

moe4747

"I recently purchased my first

"I recently purchased my first boat, a 2001 Monterey 242 Cruiser. The engine is a 5.7L Mercruiser 250 HP inboard with I believe a Bravo III outdrive (may be II). At headway speed, no issues. When I am at cruising speed+, a continuous alarm will sound intermittently for varying lengths of time (quick beep to 1 minute+). Oil and gear fluid levels are acceptable. Oil pressure is constant at 40 PSI. Temp gauge climbs to 175 and stays there. Is that temp too hot? Prior to purchase, I had the boat surveyed and sea tested. No issues found. Already took the boat back to broker and had the impeller replaced. This did not seem to help and the problem seems to get progressively worse (more frequent with longer periods of alarm blaring). I've asked other boaters and they are at a loss. I've also noticed that the RPM's have started to cut down in some instances when the alarm sounds. I had a pretty heavy load last weekend and the alarm was fairly constant. I did notice that when I reduced to headway speed the alarm continued in spurts for a short time and then went away. It seems like when the temp gauge is at a hair under 175, no problem...at 175 it seems like the alarm sounds. However, this is less than a scientific experiment with the inherent inaccuracy of simple on board gauges. However, the alarm has never sounded while at headway speed prior to going to higher RPM (leaving slip and navigating "no wake" zone for 15 minutes until I am out of harbor).

The strange thing is that I've been out a couple of times with limited-to-no alarm sounding. This seems to be when I have a lighter load and prior to the problem progressing.

So, I am thinking that either 175 is too hot, a sensor is faulty, or there is something I am totally missing. I am supposed to be taking a vacation next week and planned on a big week of boating with the family. Any help would be appreciated!"

"Have you checked or changed t

"Have you checked or changed the T'stat? I would do that first since it is cheap and your problem seems to be very load/speed sensitive.
175 is not too hot, but your high temp sensor may be inaccurate. It should give an alarm at 195 to 200. You could check it with an infra red temp gun to make sure the engine is actually at 175. You could test the sensor in boiling water to see what temp it actually closes at.
One easy test is next time it starts blaring, simply pull the wire on the temp sender. If it stops, that's your problem. If not, try the lube oil reservoir sender, lastly the oil pressure sensor.
Newer engines have a cooling water pressure sensor also, so it can be any one of four alarms.
Rod"

"I have the same problem. &#40

"I have the same problem. (Same engine)in my Bayliner 2452 Temp stays 175 (which is normal), oil pressure 40 psi+, gear lube level- full. No performance issues what-so-ever. Motor runs great! But the horn/ alarm will"beep" for 1-2 seconds, to 5 seconds, then shuts off. And its very erratic. any suggestions??"

"I ended up pulling the overhe

"I ended up pulling the overheat sensor, at the advice of a marine mechanic, and no more alarm. I'll replace it in the winter. Faulty alarm."

Back