Logo

2001 Johnson 50hp Fuel Pump

860_UA7

Hello, I am looking for some help on picking out a fuel pump for my 2001 Johnson 50hp 2-stroke motor. I am deleting the VRO pump in favor of a regular fuel pump and premixing gas.

When I look up my motor on OEM parts sites the part number I get is #0438557 for a regular fuel pump. I noticed this pump has 2 brass fittings on the bottom which I believe 1 is for fuel going to the manifold and 1 goes to the pulse fitting.

However, I also noticed my motor has the threaded holes to bolt a fuel pump right to the block so there would be no need for that extra fitting. I would prefer that style and just plugging or capping off the existing pulse fitting.

So my questions are, is part #0438556 the same thing as part #0438557 but with only the fuel exit fitting on the bottom and the hole for crank pulse on the back? Or should I just be using #0438557 for my motor? I have no idea if these pumps run at the same PSI or if there is anything else that I'm missing here.

Really appreciate any help from anyone that has already done this. Seems like every video online they use a pump that just has fuel in and fuel out fittings. I'm new to working on boat motors.

I posted pictures of the motor ID plate and the holes on the block for mounting a fuel pump.

20230622_184804_copy_756x1008.jpg20230629_174638_copy_756x1008.jpg

Use the 556 pump.----Mount directly over the pulse port.----Plug pulse port that went to the VRO.
Thank you for the quick response. I was hoping the 556 pump would work!

Do you, by chance, know what the part number is for the threaded plug for my motor that goes in place of the pulse fitting? I'm having a very hard time finding that.

Or would you just recommend capping it off with a rubber vacuum plug and zip tie/hose clamp?

Hey, just wanted to update the thread. I used the 556 pump and the part # you listed for the pulse plug. Both fit perfectly and after the VRO delete and carb rebuilds my motor is running better than it ever has, appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Doing the same, are you guys using the OEM pump or have you found an aftermarket that performs well?
I went OEM, I think it was around $85. I know Sierra makes one and plenty of Chinese ones out there. I just figured OEM is always the safe bet, but maybe someone with aftermarket pump experience can chime in.

Back