Logo

2001 Honda BF50a - Engine Not Charging and Tach Not Working. Rectifier Bad? Troubleshooting.

You should be able to locate a used flywheel very reasonably on ebay or other places. It's super unusual, in my experience, to break a magnet, and there are a LOT of folks piecing out these 40-50hp Honda's rather than fixing them. Same flywheel on 40-50hp from about 2005 on back.

Well, not sure if you got your decimal point in the wrong place but you wrote 00.6 ohm. That is a HIGH reading when compared to 0.23 ohm.

Ohm measurements are so dependent on the connections, the condition of your test leads, the meter itself and even ambient temperature that you have to be very careful when taking them.

Take some readings from your replacement coils to serve you as an information base that you can note in your shop manual.

Yes, I'm retired now too and certainly understand the expense factor. I would probably be looking for a good salvaged flywheel if I needed one but then that might not be an easy option for you in Scotland.

There sure are GOBS of Hondas all over though so here's hoping you get lucky.

No its in the place on a digital meter, 00.6 on a 200 ohm scale lowest on meter. What would that that be in old money, IE 50 ohms or more ?
Nice to hear from you, thank you.

Old money??? Never had any!

Yes, I stand corrected....didn't think that one through very well did I?

I guess I've been using reliable autoranging so long I have neglected the scale settings.

Hopefully you get your issue resolved without too much more pain. Alan's comments seem encouraging anyway.

Good luck

Hi Thanks. I have as said before ordered new coils, but in meantime I have done this, (nothing to lose), I managed to remove the half magnet in the flywheel, and replace with another from an old flywheel using another great American product J-B Weld.
If it does not work will be looking for a good used flywheel. Many Thanks

Back