Logo

2001 evinrude 50hp four stroke.. check engine light/ warning horn????????help!!!

I have a 2001 Evinrude 50 Hp, four stroke, (suzuki made) the check engine light come on. and flashes 1 quick- pause- 5 quick, I cant find any info where to find the codes for dianostics. Hoping someone knows what code15, if that is what it is..

The "15" CODE for a 1999-2000 Evinrude 70 4 stroke is "exhaust manifold overtemp". It will kick the engine into SLOW mode.
The TEMP light should light up.

I would bet that it is the same for your 2001 50.

The "15" CODE for a 1999-2000 Evinrude 70 4 stroke is "exhaust manifold overtemp". It will kick the engine into SLOW mode.
The TEMP light should light up.

I would bet that it is the same for your 2001 50.

The temp light is not on, only comes on under routine systems check, Motor won't kick down into slow mode.. Runs absolutly perfect, No sign of trouble, great water preasure, and peeing like a champ. Could it be a sensor malfunction, is there a way to reset it, to see if it comes on again?

At this point, you will have to get your own manual, or wait for someone with the exact definitive answer to chime in. I still think a "15" code means the same across many year models, both your 2001 and my 1999-2000 because the software to read the codes on a PC does not ask what motor you have....

It would only make sense to keep the hard codes defined the same in the software and manuals across the years.

The temp sensor is threaded into the exhaust manifold, and two leads go to the harness as an input to the ECM.
The temp sensor is NOT a simple on/off switch as it is on older outboards. It is a variable resistor type that the ECM can sense/detect temp changes over time. I think that rules out the simple "disconnect the temp sensor" test, but you can certainly try it. It may affect the running of the engine. I have never done it myself.

Code 15, exhaust manifold temp, I checked Seloc book, the sensor should be on the exhaust manifold, should be easy to spot. I can not locate it,, does this motor even have one?????

I posted the location in post #4. It is a silver colored, threaded "plug", maybe 12mm in size, with two wires going into it. It is the only thing like that on the exhause manifold. You may want to look half way down the manifold, tucked up and behind the rear of the ECM holder. If not there, it is dead center of the manifold, half way down.

It should be the same as the cylinder temp sensor. I have found the lead, they had it plugged into the tilt and trim gauge.. The sensor must have broke off. and the only threaded plug that looks broke off. is on the right hand side above the steering arm.. I cant locate anything else on the exhaust housing. And the book dont give the specific location, just that it is above the anode..

Not on the exhaust HOUSING. Exhaust MANIFOLD. On the STBD side of the motor, right aft of the ECM. Long black thing. 18-20" long, 2 inches wide.
Maybe a dozen bolts holding it to the side of the head.

Ok if it is the sensor right above the rectifier, that is the one that corroded of and broke, the ct sensor is good and is the same oem part number. Hopefully I can drill and extract the old sensor.. The code said it was not receiving signal. Do you think that is the sensor?

Sorry man, I will have to go look tomorrow.
I remember the wires coming from a sensor threaded into the ex manifold.
This is from memory.

The one under the plastic ECM holder next to the rectifier is not the one I am thinking of.
I will try to do it and post back.

Here is a pic of the exhaust manifold. The red arrow points to the location of the exhaust maniflod temp sensor. The sensor is obviously missing from this manifold.
The temp sensor that threads into the block back up under the ECM holder near the rectifier is the cylinder temp sensor.

ex_manifold.jpg

I will try to post a pic, my motor is a little different, The peice you post should be on the back. right hand side

exhaust two.jpg
different animals?

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 230
My sincere apologies. Yes yours is different. Somehow I got hung up on the CODES being the same for both engines, and just carried forward that the engines themselves would be the same.

Not the case. Very sorry, I do not know where the manifold temp sender is on a 2001 50hp 4 stroke.

As it turns out, the EMT sensor was the one that was broke of in the block (above the rectifier) Drilled, rethreaded, put a new sensor in, operation went on without any problems, lights now off, The Cylinder head temp sensor, is located behind the fly wheel... Thanks for all the input...

Back