Logo

2001 90tlrz 2 stroke trim motor help

banjomaniac

I bought a new Yamaha trim motor and while installing the motor there is a spring that doesn't seem to fit correctly that was on the old motor between the pump housing and the motor, it just kind of sits on top of that housing, doesn't really seem to fit in any specific position. In the parts diagram it is spring part 6h1-4385h-00-00. I pulled the old, very rusty motor off and the spring is just laying kind of lopsided on top of the housing in the hydrolic oil. Also as hard as I tried some small rust particals fell into the opening. I picked a few small particals out but wonder if I should pull the whole unit and flush it upside down? Looked simple but what a PAIN, plus the rear left bolt is all but IMPOSSIBLE to get a socket on because it is right under the motor bracket.

banjomaniac

OK, I had to order the filter, nobody within 100 miles had it. Now, if you are going to replace your trim motor on a similar model as mine, pull the tilt trim off the boat. I didn't know this and it is a pretty easy job to pull it off. I had to pull the spring apart or kind of un wind it and it will fit around the edges of the screws, I'll add a picture of the spring the way it was when I pulled off the old rusted motor. I will post more when the filter gets here and I put it all back together, I'm going to flush out that area below the
pump motor that the filter disintegrated in and might have gotten some rust in from the old motor. Also, the main ram cap is corroded to the point the dust seal is just falling off, and that cap isn't available as a separate part, have to spend hundreds on a new tilt piston sub assembly, what a rip off. Until it gives me problems, I'm just gonna keep grease on that main cap and the rod and it might never leakIMG_20140618_200259_241.jpg

Bummer. "If mechanicking was fun everybody would be doing it" said a famous tech. That grease is a good idea. I do from day one.

Back