Logo

2001 5.0 Alpha with repeating issue of no-start after running fine on lake

Lone_RT_rider

I've had an issue happen while out on the lake this weekend. This is the second time this has happened. The boat is a 2001 Monterey Montura 218 LS Bowrider. It has a 5.0 EFI GM engine. This is my first post to this forum, so please be gentle. :)

I will try to describe the sequence of events as best I can.

• I started out in the morning with the boat runing just fine. It started up without issue and ran perfectly.
  • We ran the boat for about 20 minutes and various RPM's and speeds and ran about 5 miles up the lake (lake Hartwell, SC side).
  • We stopped the boat and therefore shut off the engine for about an hour to swim and just relax.
  • I restarted the engine to move the boat and the engine started fine at first (5 seconds max).
  • Then the engine surged up and down at idle between 750 RPM and about 1800 RPM two or three times over about another 5 or 10 seconds.
  • Then the engine shut off completely.
  • I tried to restart the engine and it did come partially to life, sputtered for a bit while barely idling and then shut off. The engine only stayed running for a short time of 5 seconds or so. It did this 3 times and then would not start again after that.
  • The engine would not start after that. I eventually ran the battery down trying to restart the engine. This happened to a point where it needs to be recharged.
  • I ended up getting a tow back to the Marina where the boat sits in my slip awaiting my attention.
I stated in the subject of this post that this is a repeating issue. This happened once last year with exactly the same circumstances. I ended up taking it to a local Boat dealer who "purged" the fuel lines on the engine and the boat ran just fine for about another 3 to 5 hours of run time. I had it on the lake earlier this year (about a month ago) and it was just fine.

I know the basics of where to start of Gas, compression and spark. Does any of this sound familiar? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Shawn

Last edited:
Have you checked to see if there is spark when she refuses to start? We need to ensure the computer is getting good clean constant uninterupted power. Make sure it's a good battery; have it charged and proffesionally tested. Check all battery cable connections both positive and negative at the battery and engine....negative post on block and positive on starter. Once that is ruled out, we can move on if problem persists. There are loads fo possibilities.

Back