Logo

2000 Penta 5.0 GI - White Smoke plus Exhaust Manifold Overheating

Vista Four

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a boat with a 2000 volvo penta 5.0 GI engine with about 400 hours on it. It had been sitting for about 6-7 months before I got it so I changed batteries and put a gallon of gas in it since it was already almost half tank full.

First time I put it in water, it started up easy. After about 10 mins of idling, engine temperature went up and the alarm sounded. I immediately turned it off. I waited a few minutes and tried again but each time, it did the exact same thing and I had to turn it off. Fortunately we were still at the ramp so I just retrieved the boat and went back home. I checked the impeller and it was almost brand new but I still changed it to make sure.

I turned it on again with a muffler and noticed there was no water flow so I revved it up and at that point some debris and then water flow started. I kept the engine running for about 15 mins on muff and used an IR temperature on the thermostat housing and all was well operating at about 80-100 degree range.

So I launched the boat again and again yesterday. Within 20 mins into marina, we noticed white smoke coming out of everywhere with a smell of plastic burning rubber yet no alarm and the engine temperature gauge was reading cold! I opened the engine door and there was white smoke specially around exhaust riser area. We got towed and retrieved the boat. At home, I tried the muffs again and used my IR laser. I noticed that thermostat housing temperature was within 80-100 just like last time but the exhaust manifold temperature had risen to about 250. Impeller is definitely working and is not the issue.

Does anyone have any idea why I am having so much white smoke with exhaust area overheating to 250 without engine temperature rising at all? Could old gas cause that? I have attached pictures of exhaust area and thermostat housing.

Last edited:
Need more info re; your engine model number. The 5.0 "GI" should be followed by more alpha characters.

Let's assume that you have this style seawater pump.

20172.jpg

Make sure that the two hoses (suction and supply) that connect to the crankshaft mounted seawater pump are correctly installed.
It is easy to get them reversed.

The upper port will be suction.
The lower port will be the supply to the engine.

If you ran this engine for any length of time, and since you saw white smoke and smelled burning material, you may have blistered the interior of the rubber exhaust couplers. If so, these will need to be replaced.

Also, any tiny suction breach (in the seawater path) will prevent the seawater pump from pulling in and supplying cooling water to the engine.
Leave no stone un-turned..... look your system over thoroughly.

Once you have your full model number, you can go here and look up schematics, diagrams and OEM part numbers.

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-schematics-MarineGasolineEngines.aspx

Last edited:
Need more info re; your engine model number. The 5.0 "GI" should be followed by more alpha characters.

Let's assume that you have this style seawater pump.

20172.jpg

Make sure that the two hoses (suction and supply) that connect to the crankshaft mounted seawater pump are correctly installed.
It is easy to get them reversed.

The upper port will be suction.
The lower port will be the supply to the engine.

If you ran this engine for any length of time, and since you saw white smoke and smelled burning material, you may have blistered the interior of the rubber exhaust couplers. If so, these will need to be replaced.

Also, any tiny suction breach (in the seawater path) will prevent the seawater pump from pulling in and supplying cooling water to the engine.
Leave no stone un-turned..... look your system over thoroughly.

Once you have your full model number, you can go here and look up schematics, diagrams and OEM part numbers.

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-schematics-MarineGasolineEngines.aspx

Thanks for your response. It says Volvo Penta 5.0 gi PEFS.
Does exhaust system have any sort of alarms? Is it possible for the exhaust to get that hot 250ish but for the thermostat housing and engine to remain cool at around 90 degrees?

Later model engines did have that as an option but older ones did not, the only alarms they had were for overheating (there was an addition switch in the intake manifold monitoring water temp) and oil pressure. They can be added and its not a bad idea actually to do so.
I replied to your post over on the hull truth, you should measure the water output of the raw water pump, compare it to Volvos's specs and check the thermostat housing and manifolds/elbows for rust clogging.

Thanks for your response. It says Volvo Penta 5.0 gi PEFS.
Does exhaust system have any sort of alarms?
Go to the MarinePartsEurope site and look up your engine by model number, and then click on exhaust system.

Is it possible for the exhaust to get that hot 250ish but for the thermostat housing and engine to remain cool at around 90 degrees?
If your exhaust system reached 250ish, you have some big problems.

If you need a thermostat housing you can get that from Volvo but for the exhaust manifold kit you can save a lot of money by buying aftermarket Barr Marine exhaust. Figure approx $750 for that, you can install it yourself if you are handy. You will also need the exhaust rubber hoses that connect the exhaust elbows to the aluminum exhaust adapter pipes (linking the exhaust elbows with the exhaust Y pipe). 2 hoses on each side, those you can get from Volvo or other suppliers.

I am handy with cars but this is our first boat and I have never worked on marine equipments before so this will be interesting...I talked to a boat repair shop today and they said they would charge around $2000 to do the job with Sierra parts and it might be more expensive depending on accessibility or other problems they might find. People keep telling me to avoid boat mechanics, I don’t know why!

The link you sent me about barr parts doesn’t show the price. Do I need to call them or do you know of some stores in SoCal that sell Barr parts I can pick up by any chance?

Scroll down and click on “part number” next to “description” and it will tell you the price. Another good source and where I got mine is Lighthouse Marine but this stuff is heavy so shipping can get expensive. They are local to me here in NY. I’d see if you can buy them locally from a marine parts dealer.

Back