Logo

2000 Mercury 90 4-stroke lack of power...

PatBrower

I recently purchased a 2000 Fischer 17' boat with a 2000 Mercury 90hp 4 stroke motor. Went out for a test run, and it started right up & ran good. When I went to acceleration it hardly got out of the hole...Kinda like a car with a plugged converter... Seemed to run OK, but could only get 22mph when I should get 38+... Then once warm at slow to idle speed the engine was shaking more then normal... Took forever to get on plane like something is restricting it from opening up....
Any ideas I can try?... I've got fish gas and marine stabil in it Which the previous owner always used....Seemed to run OK with muffs on when bought, but not now....
Any info would be helpful!

Plugs, fuel filter... Are what you mean? From what I've read these engines have issues with the carbs gumming up as well...Just don't know if That's relative to my complaint or not.

Check for spark on each cylinder...I use a spark gap tester so I can see the spark at the end of the plug wire. If it is a good, bluish snapping spark check or replace the plugs. You can try filling the carb bowl w/Seafoam and let it soak overnight w/engine upright/run position. Run the engine w/fuel line disconnected to empty the carb. Reattach the fuel line to engine then disconnect the fuel line from the tank and stick it into a can of Seafoam and fill the carb using the squeeze primer bulb. Let it soak overnight. When you start it the engine will smoke until the Seafoam burns off.

Back