Logo

2000 Merc 90 Engine Alarm

Deano27

Contributing Member
I have a Year 2000 Mercury 90 ELPTO 2 stroke with oil Injection. I'm just curios if this year engine has any alarm on it like low oil or over heat? It is a great engine just would be nice to know something is going wrong as I do not have a temp gauge.

To check if the alarm is working, pop the engine cover, look on the rear of the block...where the spark plugs are located, left side, midway down for a tan wire which is your OT sense wire. Follow it to the engine electrical harness interface and you will pick up a Y connection with the tan/blue stripe wire from the oil level sensor in the oil tank, both connected to a tan/lt. blue stripe wire of the harness. Pull one of the wires out of the Y and using a piece of wire, connect the wiring harness wire to the engine block metal...not black paint, with the ignition key ON and you should get the alarm to sound.....12v comes from the ignition switch ON terminal and ground comes from one of the sensors to get the alarm to work. Some control boxes have it internal to the box and others have it under the dash cobbled onto the wiring bundle...black button about half an inch thick, size of a US half dollar. Some boats have a pigtail to a dash indicator amber light that comes on also....back up in higher priced boats giving you 2 sources of malfunction indicators.

Back