Logo

2000 Merc 115 quits in warm weather

fisher

" I've had this problem wi

" I've had this problem with the motor since the boat was new but only recently has it gotten worse and to the point where I think I have the conditions figured out. Here goes: The motor will run fine at all RPM's in 'cool' weather. But like today, a very hot sun, outside air around 80-degrees, after running awhile will just starting coughing and missing and eventually quit.
It restarts just fine, but as soon as you throttle up a bit, it repeats.

Even in these conditions, it runs okay until you get to about 3200 RPM. The critical thing here is that two cylinders run at low RPM, all four
kick in around 2500 RPM, no problem until you get
a little past this point.

Water temp doesn't seem to matter. I can usually fix the problem by removing the cowl and letting
it cool off. This very much seems to be related to the temperature beneath the cowl.

What can I do to help isolate the fault? The dealer says they'll fix it but cannot get it to reproduce in the shop. Until now, I guess I didn't have it isolated to these conditions and just told them it was intermittent. "

"Fisher,

You may be running

"Fisher,

You may be running too hot. Check for overheating with a temperature probe if you have one.

It sounds like the stator may be malfunctioning. This can be brought on by rising temperature under the cowl.

"

Back