Logo

2000 JR3SSB shifter issue

Billyfish24

Hey guys...need an opinion. Have had a 25 3 cylinder johnson- tiller 2000 model for years with no issue. Had to replace the water pump a couple of months ago. Ever since then, the shift lever/mechanism (can't tell which) doesn't seem to want to shift properly. It seems to be binding up. I can wiggle and push back and forth a few times and it will start working normally again. I am positive I put it back together right...took it apart to see if something didn't look right and didn't find anything. I thought it might be the rod that goes from the lever to the flywheel but it seems to be moving freely. I reset the neutral detent just to be sure. Do you guys have any ideas on what I might have done, or if it wasn't me...what might be going on? I can put it in the water and pull the lever forward...sometimes have to pull hard when it binds. The motor will pop into gear...once it is there, it does fine. Shifts back to netral fine but sometimes coming out of reverse, neutral is a little hard to find....thanks for any advice you might have-

Answer these questions and these only.---------------------Is the bottom shift rod screwed all the way into the lower unit , yes or no ?----------Is there a chance during the work that the upper shift rod was turned , yes or no?-------------------In nuetral what is the exact distance from the end of the upper shift rod to the exhaust housing ?

Back