Logo

2000 johnson 90 hp cylinderbs compression gone

ricc

"Hi, I lost compression on the

"Hi, I lost compression on the second cylinder/ piston while in the water, 4 mlls to shore, and made it back, it kept on dying out, I would start it agian but would die if I tried to accellerate.

Previousely, the two bottom carburators had the floater's needle valve stuck against its seat and no gas reached the floater's chamber, I cleaned all three but didn't repair the carbs.
I think this incident could've caused the cylinder's failure.
The compression test, #1 135, #2 10, #3 135.
Could I just repair #2?
And how does the inner part of the motor lubricate, could the lack of gas and oil in the carburator cause the piston to fail."

"HI i have a 1979 evinrude 4 h

"HI i have a 1979 evinrude 4 hp. model 4094d heating up after 15 minutes i checked the imp, the engine has a strong water stream i am stumped any ideas,thanks <pop>"

Ricardo.... A fouled carbureto

Ricardo.... A fouled carburetor would make the engine run lean on whatever cylinder it was related to. This would result in poor lubrication and eventually piston etc damage.

You can repair just one cylinder it would require tearing the engine completely down anyway.

"Hi Joe, thanks for your advis

"Hi Joe, thanks for your advise.
Now that my worries are comfirmed, what book would you recommend for this repair, I already have the Clymer Outboard Shop Manual.

Is there any chance the piston rings are stuck?
I tried putting some automatic transmission fluid into the piston through the spark hole, left it overnight and rotated the motor to expell the fluid. No change.
Could the cabon residue be causing the rings to stick causing a no compression reading? If so, should I use that product to losen the carbon deposits and see what happens or is this unlikely.
I'm just trying to avoid going through all that work.
Thanks, wish ya good weekend."

"i strongly recommend a FACTOR

"i strongly recommend a FACTORY service manual.and w/comp that low,..u have a serious problem,that requires disassembly,and good repair."

"Ricardo.... As JWB advises, p

"Ricardo.... As JWB advises, purchase a factory (OMC/Bombardier) service manual that pertains ONLY to your specific engine, not a manual that covers a half dozen models as they can become quite confusing. Hopefully Andrew, (Host & Owner of this site) can help you with this.

First thing to do is to remove the cylinder heads so that you can thoroughly inspect the pistons, cylinder walls, and the underside of the cylinder heads. If the underside of the cylinder heads are pitted/imbedded with metal, DO NOT reuse them as that metal will glow like a glow plug on a model airplane engine and will result in pre-ignition which will melt a piston in a very short time.

Let us know what you find and how you're making out.

H.J.Lant......
(MarineEngine.com - Improperly Inserted Post)

Go back to the previous page and click on the "Start New Discussion" hyperlink that exists in the "Blue Border".

This will allow you to enter your question/post under your own title heading which will then appear at the top of the list.

As it now stands, your post is buried under the post of another member.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store
"

"Thanks again.
Where could I

"Thanks again.
Where could I find that manual for my specific motor, I must have the serial number, right?

I didn't understand why I'm posting wrongly, please explain"

"Ricardo..... You are not post

"Ricardo..... You are not posting wrongly, "H.J.Lant" is.

You'll need the "Model" number, not the serial number."

"Cool, I got the model #, J70P

"Cool, I got the model #, J70PLSIS.

Guys, should I start a new thread to ask you about an Evinrude 175?"

Ricardo..... Your post states

Ricardo..... Your post states that you're speaking of a 2000 90hp Johnson as per the title.

The model number you state in your last post which is J70PLSIS is a 2001 70hp Johnson. ??

Curious... Are you in the outboard repair line of work?

"Hi, I'm sorry, it's a

"Hi, I'm sorry, it's a 70 hp, the year I'm not sure.
I love diving and most water activities and very handy so I really enjoy figuring out challenging activities, besides it's worth to know your ways specially if you are going far offshore.
That's why I would like to get the best book possible on how to tune it accurately.
Any advise on what book and where to get it?"

"Hi guys, should I get the par

"Hi guys, should I get the parts manual as well?
I already ordered the service manual.
Should we continue this post to document progress? I guess it could be used by someone like me, ?
I'll get back when my book arrives.
Thanks."

Back