Logo

2000 Johnson 50 Damaged Cylinder, Help!

Hello all, I have recently bought a 2000 Johnson 50 (2 stroke 2 cylinder). It has great compression, reading 120psi on both cylinders upper and lower, and has ran great on a stand. I haven’t seen it on a boat. Upon tearing down the engine more to bring it up to par for the season (just odds and ends). I had inspected the cylinders through the spark plug holes and had discovered the lower cylinder had pitting, almost like little craters in the cylinder wall. I will attach a link that has the photos I was able to take with an endoscope. I’d really like some outside feedback on if the engine will remain reliable in its current condition, or if it would need an overhaul. It may also just be ruined. Let me know what you all think, and thank you so much for your input.

-Matt from Ohio.

Cylinder wall appears to be scored.----Motor needs to come apart for overhaul.----Not a bad job to do yourself.----Likely hard to find a shop interested in doing this for you.

If there is water in there that something that cause it to be unreliable looks like there is to me. If could fix that then you could try it out and see how dependable it will run and you will know how dependable it is. As far being dependable anything can cause it not be run good and yes cylinder damage can cause it to be less dependable but just how and how time are going put into this.

Back