Logo

2000 Johnson 200hp Outboard Motor Won't Start

jpena

Hello,

We're first time boaters.

Yesterday we were are on the water and made it to our destination with no problems. When decided to head back to our mooring, before start packing and putting everything away, we started the engine without problems but after around 30 to 45 seconds of been on it just shut down. We thought it was lack of fuel so we tried the pump gas ball but we noticed it was not getting firm. We removed the cover of the engine to see if we noticed anything abnormal but everything looked fine. The fuel filter looked fine as well and have gas in it and after a few more tries with the pump gas ball we got the pump firm. At the end we couldn't manage to start the engine so were towed by another boat. This morning I tried to start the engine and it would spin, sputter occasionally when I choked it and it would make a grinding sound when I turned it over. Any help/tips from your end on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The fuel bulb not getting firm and then getting firm,Check the air vent going to gas tank,if it has trouble getting firm then it needs to be replaced.Check te spark and make shure plugs are firing,and do a compression check.Listen to starter when you crank it and see if that is the grinding noise.Start with that and let me know!!

Thanks for the tips ciscokid! Because of work I didn't have the time to check the boat myself and try all things you suggested. However, yesterday our mechanic checked the engine and it was just a small cable (ground wire) coming out of the power pack. The mechanic just cut a piece of the wire and replaced the head of it and now everything is fine (apparently part of the ground wire was corroded)...the mechanic mentioned that the ground wire probably will last couple of years but after that we probably need to change the power pack entirely...

Summer is ending here in Bermuda so heading to the water again tomorrow...

Thanks and cheers!

Back