Logo

2000 Johnson 150 hp gears

williez61847

"I have a 2000 Johnson 150, an

"I have a 2000 Johnson 150, and was wondering if there was an inherent problem with gears from that year. Someone told me that there was a bad batch of gears from OMC around that time. If so, has Bombardier fixed the prob?"

"Willie,

I do not recall an

"Willie,

I do not recall any defective gears, but there have been some improvements made to some gearsets over the years. I don't think this is true of your gearset, but I could be wrong about that.

They changed the angle of the mating surfaces on the clutch dog and forward/reverse gears on some models, but not all. I believe that it was mainly I/O outdrives that this has been done to, but I would like to see it on outboards also.

Tony"

"Thanks for the info Tony, but

"Thanks for the info Tony, but this was a hardness problem. I' pretty easy on my engine, especially with forward to reverse shifting, but I chipped a gear two different times. I guess the clutch dog could be a cause, by jamming the gears prematurely, but the new gears from Bombardier sound different when engaging, so maybe the problem has been solved. It's one job I don't need to do again in the middle of the
season.
angry.gif

Thanks again,
Willie"

"Willie,
When you say you&#39

"Willie,
When you say you're "pretty easy on my engine, especially with forward to reverse shifting" does that mean you ease the shift lever in and out of gear? If so, that's the wrong thing to do. When shifting gears you should give a firm, quick action from neutral into forward/reverse. Easing into gear does nothing more than let those gears chip, chunk, adn clunk until they finally mesh and engage.

If you are doing it properly, then sorry, but I don't have an answer for why your gears have worn out.

KJ"

Back