Logo

2000 7.4l MPI starts and stalls 3 times then good...

Sidneyboy

Hello all! I have a 2000 7.4l MPI in my 2858 Bayliner. On the first start of the day the engine will start ,rev up to 1500 and stall in about 5-10 seconds. This happens three times and then I am good all day even after being shut off for a few hours. Come back the next day and the same thing occurs. Also having a hard time reaching WOT (only getting 4000rpm) but my cruise rpm and speed is good and the same same as everyone else with the same boat. Any ideads would be appreciated!

Sidneyboy

Ayuh,... I'd start with the fuel Filters,...
Change 'em out, 'n drain the old 1s into a clear jar or something so you can see if it's fulla Crud....

All the above are good suggestions. There is also a possibility that there is a small leak somewhere that is allowing air to get into the fuel system as it sets. That could cause stalling until the air is purged. It could be anywhere from where the injectors mate with the fuel rail on back. Good luck.

Start at the tank pull the fuel pickup tube, up wil come the anti-syphon valve. Check that the valve is clear and working good, and that if the tube has a screen it's clear.

Make sure all the hose is good and look under every clamp, you might find one cracked under the clamp and allowing air into the system.

Also you could plumb in a clear fuel hose to see if air is coming in for sure. If you have air then you have a clear solution no air then it maybe another problem.

When was the last compression test done ?

when you start the boat do you listen for the pump to build pressure then shut down before starting? turned out loose fitting sucking air by fuel pump.

Thanks for all the ideas. I pulled out the anti siphon valve to find it was only a 3/8 barb (no anti siphon). Also pulled out the pick up which was in good shapre and the mess filter at the end was super clean (lol...also confirmed that the fuel gauge was reading correctly!) Checked all connectors and yes the fuel pump is pressurizing when the key is turned. Time for the computer check I guess!

Sidneyboy

Did you follow the hose from the tank to every connection of the fuel hose ?

Did you check every clamp ?

Do you have a fuel cooler ?

You need a anti-syphin valve it allows gas to flow only one way, and not flow back to the tank understand ?

I installed a new 3/8 anti-siphon valve when i put to gether. Checked all the lines as best as I could. I do have a fuel cooler and it was tough to thoroughly check it over. I will slither down there again and have a better look!

Thanks!

The fuel cooler acts as a heat exchanger. It can get clogged up. But more imortant to your symptoms, air infiltration is suspected.

You did the compression test? You posted all your getting is 4000. Your prop is what, your bottom is clean ?

Your motor recommended rpm is 4200-4600 ?

Back