Logo

2000 350 MAG MPI - No spark

Jtcarter21

My boat just died while idling and Long story short I've got no spark. Today I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, ignition sensor, and coil and no change. I have 12v at the coil so now I'm really starting to wonder if I'm overlooking something simple.

I dont get a beep when I turn the key to the on position and I'm all but certain there used to be an audible beep right as the fuel pump would start priming. I have power to the coil, the engine turns over, but thats it. I read somewhere about verifying your gray wire on the tach isn't grounded but mine isnt. I'm starting to wonder if my kill switch isn't working but I cant find a way to bypass it just to check. Or maybe a fuse somewhere I cant locate.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Helm on/off switch

It's not the kill switch on the throttle, I was.testing it and the fuel pump will not prime if it is off, if the key in the on position as soon as I flip the kill switch on the fuel pump kicks on. The starter will turn either way.

I remember looking into the ECM before, is there any chance Iight need to replace it?

Toubleshooting guides point to the ignition sensor again, when I replaced it, turned it on and got fire for about a second and that was it. The rotor was really difficult to get off and on, wondering if it may not be down far enough or if I just burned up the new sensor that fast.

Im still not getting a beep when turning the key on but that didn't stop it from firing for the split second on that first turn either.

Update: I finally gave up and took the boat to the shop. Turns out my 12V at the coil was dropping when I tried to start the motor which resulted in no spark. If you've having and issue its definitely worth verifying you have 12v at the coil DURING CRANKING. I never found the culprit as my engine still wouldn't start due to low compression.
So why is the compression low? Last year after troubleshooting I witnerized the boat but left the engine cover and breather filter off, the engine was still covered in its bay and a tarp covered the majority of that cover, but lucky me the rain and snow was dripping into the bay and not falling in the front, back, left, or right, but dead center into the throttle body. I had thought this didn't happen until spring time as the motor was hydrolocked when I first tried to start it but looks like it was winter and the block likely froze after all.
Long story short, a bad connection under the dash coupled with some poor decisions has likely blown a very expensive motor. I did put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and got it to start for a minute but cold weather came in too fast so I didn't have time to work with it. There's some possibility it's just stuck rings but I don't expect I'd be that lucky.
Hope that's a lesson worth while to someone else trying to work on a similar issue, DO NOT LEAVE THE THROTTLE UNCOVERED!!

Back