Logo

2000 130 HP won’t start. Running out of ideas

May not be able to get a new harness for a 130. And I wonder if there were any harness changes from year to year or if say a similar vintage 115 is the same if you looked for a good used harness?
It seems there have been many more changes each year in stuff built in the last 5 years or so and there is way less part carryover from year to year.

Funky looking splice for sure....wouldn't really expect that but, then, it happens I guess.

My question is:

How does a bad ground wire cause the 5 volts reference to "disappear"? In my mind the "grounds" or returns for these sensors would be individual while the 5v reference SHOULD be "ganged" like that.

I guess it matters not if you get a FIX out of the deal!

So I’ve got both motors working like normal. It was a bad wiring harness all along. The pdf shop manual does a very good job of troubleshooting the various sensors and mil lights. Basically check sensor and see if you have 5v. Use the sensor 5v and the engine as ground. Then check the green ground wire each sensor has. I’m generalizing.

I was able to open up the harness and locate the bad wires. Basically a bad ground at was affecting 5 sensors and a bad wire that went to my MAP sensor. Didn’t help that I mixed up the MAP sensor and another when hooking it back up.

be careful unplugging things. I was very nervous undoing the wires, but it was actually quite easy to hook everything back up. Each plug is unique, and the harness wraps around the engine like a U. BUT I discovered two plugs on the front on the intake are the same. Just a different color plastic plug. If you get them switched, engine won’t start. Be careful. The MAP sensor and the throttle position sensor are the same. The throttle position sensor is the blue one. If you get them backwards the engine is very hard to start and idles very very rough and surges.

Back