Logo

200 2stroke oil check valves

nemer

Contributing Member
My 1987 200 v6 2 stroke intermittently drains the reserve tank through the ports in the intake and makes a mess and trips a warning buzzer. A local mechanic suggested I put 6 check valves at $48 each plus clamps on each cylinder’s oil line. I’m sure this $370 fix will work, but my question is why now and why only sometimes. Is there something less expensive I should look at?

Does it have check valves installed in it now???

If so..just find out which ones are leaking out and just replace those. it is probably only 1 or 2. I had to replace one on my 90 for the same reason.

the warning buzzer is just a probably low oil alarm. once you turn the key to the on position the main tank should pump oil into the smaller tank mounted on the motor. this should turn the alarm off.

The main oil tank is on the motor. The remote tank is in the boat.

Low oil in the main tank only will cause the low oil alarm to sound.

When you use the word reserve tank do you mean the engine mounted main oil tank?

What is the complete model identity of the motor? Or the complete engine ID? Latter begins with the number 6.

By reserve tank, I do mean the tank on the engine. I don’t know if the original pump is on the motor. My best guess is yes, because the motor only has 550 hrs on it. I’ve had the motor for 4 years now. This problem started a year ago. The motor is a 200etlh. Serial number 401567. 6G6. L

Seems that the internal check valves on the original Keihin pump have failed. Intermittently. The replacement Mikuni pump uses external check valves. The original pumps have long been rendered obsolete.

Your mechanic seems to be quoting you for Yamaha check valves. Which are higher in price than they otherwise might be. If it were my motor I would not be hesitant to use a non OEM check valve. Or search for pickapart motors that have check valves on them.

Am I correct in assuming that if I replace my oil pump with any new pump available for my engine, the problem will be solved? I would rather spend the money for a new pump kit than spend money on check valves and still have to replace my oil pump at some point probably soon.

Back